Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Need homework help please??

Trying to help my daughter with homework. How do you add / subtract a fraction if one of the fractions is a whole number? For example

- 4 3/4
------------- Thank you ladies!!!


Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Just for Fun

Level 12 (749 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Okay, your 7 becomes a 6 and 4/4 (which is the same as 7). Then you subtract the fractions top numbers only (numerators) and leave the bottom number (denominator) the same. Then you subtract your whole numbers.

    Answer by scout_mom at 6:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • I think you just subtract the whole numbers and still end up with the 3/4 left over. My guess is the answer would be 3 & 3/4 but I'm not 100% sure.

    Answer by proudmom2510 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • 2 1/4

    Answer by luvmebrats9 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • Make sure both have the same bottom number.

    Answer by txdaniella at 10:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

  •   CLICK this link woman!!

    or....  type in a web browser.  It will give your child STEP BY STEP instructions on how to do her math, NOT give you the answer.


    Answer by vbruno at 6:26 PM on Mar. 16, 2011