Do your parents have illnesses that

you are afraid you or your kids will get ?

letstalk747

Asked by letstalk747 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Health

• My parents & grandma had COPD. I am not scared of that. I dont smoke. I caution my kids not to smoke. My mom & grandma had breast cancer & while it make me more cautious I am not "scared" per day. I just make sure to have regular mammograms.
    Anonymous

• Their are health issues on both parents sides, but I refuse to worry about what I or the kids might inherit. It's pointless to stress over a what if type of thing. None of us get to decide if we are born or who we are born to. What will be will be. If there's lung cancer in your family and everyone who got it smoked but you dont smoke you are allot less likely to get it now arnt you? Diet and lifestyle determine if you get something or not. Genetics alone does not mean you will get it because mom or dad had it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• my mom has Parkinson’s disease
    I found out when my son was in 3rd grade, which he's 25 now, he had a lazy eye like his dad.
    My dad has high Cholesterol
    and I also know that my mom's mom had one heart attack and past away
    My dad's mom was going blind before she past away and now my dad is going blind.
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 6:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• alcoholism
    Anonymous

• Diabetes runs on both sides of my family. I didn't know this until after I had my son. I was gestational diabetic, and am now type 2. I don't worry about my son really, because we do try to eat healthy and watch our portions. My daughter,on the other hand, is overweight, and doesn't watch her diet as closely as she should. I expect to have her come to me one day and tell me that she is living with diabetes.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• huntingtons runs in my moms family, I was really worried about getting it but i got tested about 10 years ago and dont have the gene.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• @ vbruno...u can still get lung cancer even if u do not smoke...
    My mom died last October of liver failure, and the docs don't know what made her liver fail and that makes me nervous wondering what it was. I wanted an autopsy, but my sister said no s the doctors coudn't do it.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My dad has one that I DID inherit, as did my firstborn. Nothing on my mom's side except some mild dimentia.
    FIL has diabetes and that has caused him multiple problems - I am worried about that for DH and our kids. MIL has some stuff on her side but nothing that worries me.
    Anonymous