Anti-depressants..

I went to my doctor today and he said it sounds like im progressively getting worse so he put me on anti-depressants. I don't know what to expect from them Anybody whoes been on anti-depressants want to explain how they are gonna work.

JordonMichelle

Asked by JordonMichelle at 6:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Health

• Id have first asked the Dr just how much $$ he's getting from his drug rep to write the scrip he gave you. TOO many Dr's think drugs are the only way to treat mild depression and WAY to many Dr's who ARE NOT qualifyed to diagnose depression are. Worse is TOO many Dr's today get ALLOT of $$ to prescribe the latest medications. Maybe all you need is a few sessions with a qualifyed counselor or psyce Dr, NOT medications.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Well everyone's experience with them is different. For me, (I have OCD and take MAOI inhibitors), I seemed to get even worse at first. The Dr said that it takes time for them to get in your system and start doing their job. So don't be surprised if your depression seems to be getting a little worse before it starts to get better. And be sure to talk to your Dr about anything in your mood, thoughts, etc. that changes, even if you think it's insignificant!
    mommatara1268

Answer by mommatara1268 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Typically, they will start you with a pretty mild dosage and then reassess you after you have been on them a while. Sometimes, at that point, they might up the dosage or change the medication. Just keep tabs on any unwanted side effects that may be bothering you . . .

Make sure, if you are breastfeeding, pregnant, or planning to conceive, that you call the pediatrician and okay the medicine with them.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• @vbruno- This is the second time in two months i've seen him for depression its not mild when i want to go to hurting myself to lose the pain. and Im not paying for it im on medicaid because i do'nt have any other kind of insurance yet. And the counselor costs more then this anti-depressant. Hes always been reluctant to put me on anything. and after today he said hes going to try it for a month and if it helps for a year if it doesn't hes gonna take me off of it.
    JordonMichelle

Comment by JordonMichelle (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• what kind of anti-depressant there are so many different kinds? There are some that head off depression, some given for longer term depression, I took several in my early adult life and there are different types. I tried Paxil - horrible side effects (dizzy, overall completely disjointed feeling), I have tried zoloft which worked well for me in my early 20's, Effexor again horrible side effects.

Here is a website that might give you some good info: http://www.healthyplace.com/depression/antidepressants/list-of-antidepressants/menu-id-68/

8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Thank you. I will have to check that site out.
    JordonMichelle

Comment by JordonMichelle (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It's not an immediate thing. It can take 4-6 weeks or even longer for you to start feeling better. Also, I had to be put on 3 different meds because they didn't work or messed me up. My first one made me feel drunk, like I couldn't walk, but it was one that most women can take no problem. The second one killed my sex drive(a common side effect) and wasn't really getting me past a certain point, so I'm on Cymbalta now, and it seems to be working, though I've had to increase my dosage. Make sure to read the info that comes with the meds- it can tell you about common side effects and such.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Have been on anti-depressants several times. I have chronic depression with repeated episodes for many years. Tried Prozac, Paxil (bad side effects), and Zoloft. None of them really worked, so I am currently not taking anything. I have no insurance and on a fixed income, so can't go to the doctor or get prescriptions. My expenses eat up my entire income, so even the small amount charged by the local Health Dept is out of my budget. Hope you find one that works. Good luck.
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 7:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and the depression side of it is real severe at times. It highly recommended that people also need to be able to get with a counselor and talk about what the depression stems from or what is or was happening in your life. I resisted like a stubborn mule going up on a hill. But in he long run, I acknowledged the fact it did help to be able to talk without fear of being judged for ther thoughts I have at times about certain people. Didn't have to worry about them running their mouth to anybody about what I said to them. In fact, there were times that just talking about all the thoughts in my head good or bad or just being paranoid helped me out soooo much. Ther is also churches that have counselors u can talk to without charge. They do not force the religion on you or nothing like that. Good luck.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Medication can help tremendously. It only took 2 weeks for me to notice a difference.

If you are concerned about how it might affect your parenting, check out this article:

http://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20110315/treating-depressed-moms-helps-kids-depression
    tsinj

Answer by tsinj at 9:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2011