How do I get my Chihuahua to eat dog food?

I've had him for a year in july. The man we got him from fed him people food. He only weighs like 5-7 lbs. So if I put dog food in his bowl and he doesnt eat it he gets skinny fast. I cant stand to see him hungry so I give in. Anyone else have a chihuahua with the same problem?

mommawanken

Asked by mommawanken at 6:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Pets

• Switch him to a raw dog food diet

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• What's that??
    mommawanken

Comment by mommawanken (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Its at the pet store in the refrigerator. Comes in a tube that looks like hamburger or ground turkey

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• The raw dog food diet is good, but not everybody wants to deal with that. If you don't , and you want to switch him to regular dry dog food, try going in steps. Mix some wet dog food in with whatever you're feeding him now (people food really isn't good for dogs, but I'm sure you know that). Gradually increase the wet food, and take out the people food. Next, start mixing in dry food, and gradually add more dry food and less wet food. It might take a while, but you'll get there.

And for the record, if you just give him dog food, he'll eat when he gets hungry enough, he's not going to starve himself, trust me.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yeah, get that critter away from ppl food - not good for him anyway.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Anouck I used to believe that too until I got my oldest dog. Reagan used to be extremely picky to the point that she would starve herself. I have always picked up the food after ten minutes because that is supposed to teach dogs to eat when the food is there. It took me years to get Reagan to eat both meals everyday. Reagan used to go a full week with out eating because I was waiting her out. I did have her checked out and ran blood work she was just very picky. What I ended up doing is not allowing Reagan to have any treats at all during the day. She is only allowed dog food and I increased her activity so that she would work up an appetite.  I also gave her b vitimin in liquid form to stimulate her appetite. My vet recommended this and it worked though Reagan hated it.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• picky eating is usually a sign that a dog is under exercised. Do you take him for walks? Try playing ball with him a few times a day until he gets tired (they make puppy sized tennis balls that work great for Chihuahuas. No treats and no people food. By the time the dinner bell rings she won't care what she's eating, she'll just be hungry.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I would add some warm water to the dry kibble as well, but it will just take some time for him to realize there isn't a cook in the kitchen.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• YES! i have a 8 Year Old Chi/Yorkie & she has Always Hated Dog Food! the vet gave me a few recipes- you can probably google them- i usually make her Lean Ground Beef with Rice or i boil Chicken & add Rice to it- i gave up trying to give her Dog Food a long time ago- once in awhile she will eat a handful of Dry, but that is it- She is even Very Picky about her Treats!LOL! Good Luck:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yes. I do. Mine weighs 2lb 6 oz. I feed her mini kibble and bits. It's small enough for her to eat. Vet suggested puppy food. Don't know what to tell you but if you find something let me know. Good luck
    Parka54

Answer by Parka54 at 7:01 AM on Mar. 17, 2011