We want to rent a house...but, the cat smell is bad?

We aren't sure what exactly we need to do...should we insist that the landlord replace the carpets? Is it possible for the smell to go away with just professional carpet cleaning? If we can smell "cat" as soon as we enter the house, should we just give up on this house?

Just not sure how to handle this...we like this house. It is really the best option for us and we've been looking for awhile, but my DH and DD are allergic to cats and I can't stand the smell.

I guess my question is this problem fixable?

littleflower101

Asked by littleflower101 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• If the smell is that awful you would think the landlord would have changed the carpet before showing you the house. If I were you I would see what the landlord will do first. You dont want your DH and DD around this if their allergic to cats
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Gosh, if they are allergic this is soooo bad! If the landlord will not pay to have the carpet replaced ask him if he will by the materials and you guys can put tile down yourselves. It takes special equipment to install carpet so that would be really hard.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• The smell will definately not go away with professional cleaning, I don't care what any of them say. My husband's cat (which we don't have anymore) would spray on the carpet and no matter what we did, even professional cleaning, did not take it away, it always came back. We ended up changing to hardwoods after we had to give him away(I was allergic). So, my advice to you would be either find another apartment or have the landlord replace the carpet. Hope that helps.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• If they replace the carpets they will probably raise the rent but you can ask if they will do it. I'd also ask what's under the carpet. Maybe it's got nice hardwood floors so he may be willing to rip the carpeting up (or let you).

Answer by admckenzie at 7:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• You cannot get rid of that smell without replacing carpet. Nothing will get rid of it!!!!
    WonderingHeart

Answer by WonderingHeart at 7:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Play it safe and find another place.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Skip the house... trust me I made that mistake. the smell does not go away, floor boards have to be replaced. And if you can smell it as soon as you enter the house then it's bad in there.
    We didn't smell it until we were in the process of moving in. The land lord had even tried painting over it (the floor are wooden) and the paint didn't even get rid of the smell.
    The constant smell can make you sick and will make furniture and clothes stink.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 8:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have a cat - always have. I love my cat. I am always concerned about "cat smell" and everyone swears I don't have it.

In my experience with other people "cat smell" only comes from pee in the carpet or the floorboards being saturated. Sometimes there has been so much ammonia in the air that it permeates walls and furniture. If someone manages things well they don't get this smell. I would consider it a HUGE red flag and would not rent this house.

At the minimum I would require new carpets AND padding, as well as a professional cleaning.

Ammonia in the air (which is what you are probably smelling) can actually harm your health.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Go with other house if the landlord won't replace the carpet and padding.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It won't hurt to ask if he will replace the carpets or pull them out entirely. If not, definitely don't rent the place. You're better off finding a different house than putting up with that awful smell. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:32 AM on Mar. 17, 2011