Breastfeeding and Marijuana

How long does marijuana affect breastmilk after smoking? What exactly can it do to the milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Health

• I hope your not trying to smoke and feed you baby. No matter how long it takes to wear off I would just formula feed her! You dont want to be counting minutes and guess working. What you are doing is very potentially dangerous to your childs health. The responsable thing to do and what any doctor would tell you to do is formula feed and try to quit smoking. Inhaling fumes could also be harmfull to babys brain, lungs, and other organs.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It gets into your milk supply, I'm not sure how long it stays in your milk, but if you breast feed your baby after smoking it you may as well have held that joint up to your baby's lips. I know with alcohol it stays in the milk supply for more than 24 hours, so you have to pump and dump until it metabolizes. I imagine that marijuana takes longer to leave your body. I wouldn't advise smoking it at all, what if something happens to your child!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Why did you post this in so far 3 different section and different times
    General parenting, babies 0-12mo and now health?
    Anonymous

• It will be in the milk for as long as it is in you. Takes about a month to test negative for pot after last toke right?
    What the hell kind of question is that anyway. i pray to god you are asking because you know someone & are trying to gather enough info. to set them straight. If it's you, let me just say, "Please don't get high and invite your baby along for the buzz!"
    aajsluckymommy

Answer by aajsluckymommy at 6:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• PEOPLE ASK ABOUT ALCOHOL AND BREAST MILK ALL THE TIME SO BACK OFF. ALCOHOL IS WORSE.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Nov. 25, 2008