Breastfeeding and Marijuana

How long does marijuana affect breastmilk after smoking? What exactly can it do to the milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• easy answer: don't smoke it, you won't have this problem
    Anonymous

• Are you seriously asking this question?????
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Anything you eat, ingest, smoke, drink, put on your skin can cross over into your breast milk. I'm not sure what affect it can have on a baby but a baby has no choice in the matter. I think pot can stay in your blood stream for up to 7 days so i would imagine it would stay in breast milk for at LEAST that long.

This is a very distrubing question.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 3:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Babies who are breastfed by pot-smoking mothers are shown to be slightly developmentally delayed in some studies. Those delays are generally made up by the child's first birthday. There has not been adequate research on the effects of maternal marijuana use in utero or in a breastfed baby, so it is difficult to define the risks.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My brother's wife is a big medicinal pot smoker. She's had three kids. She smoked all through her pregnancies and breastfeeding. Her twins seriously look like they are high. They have really droopy, sleepy eyes and both have some learning difficulties.

No way is it worth the risk.
    Anonymous

• THC can actually be stored in fat cells for months so it can effect the baby for that amount of time. I dont know about developmentally, but my neighbors have been smoking pot around their kids since birth and one of them is actually ahead developmently.
    Dont get me wrong I do not agree with it what so ever and have seriously considered turning them in, but other wise they are good parents that is why I havent.
    Anonymous

• The amount of time depends on the use of the drug. For instance a one time user will only have a small amount THC in their system. Regular users will have traces of THC in their systems on an on going bases.
    Studies show that babies who are exposed to breast milk containing THC are slower in developing their motor skills.
    Considering that marijuana is an impure drug it is not safe to consume at any time with pregnancy or while nursing.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 4:08 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Are you serious? I hope you're asking this question for a "friend" because you have no business smoking anything while breastfeeding. Whatever is harmful for you is harmful for your baby!
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Marijuana like any other drug OTC or illegal passes through the breast milk. This is not only hazardous to your milk but your ability to care for your child. What happens if you are high and something happens that you need to get your child to the hospital? How will you being high effect your parenting decisions? This is harmful to you as well. I understand that it is a hard habit to break. I truly hope that you avoided the habit during your pregnancy. I think that you need to talk to a counselor for yours and your families benefit. Obviously you care and don't want to hurt anyone because you asked. Please get help . 1.866.902.4582
    Anonymous

• Don't smoke at all
    scoke19

Answer by scoke19 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2008