• In the Spotlight:

Piercing baby's ears.

Whats the best age? Whats best, a doc..or someone who spends their whole day piercing ears? My husband and I want to buy our daughter little diamond earing for Christmas...something she can pass down.

Farrahann

Asked by Farrahann at 3:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd like to say that if you find it necessary to get your child's ears pierced, I'd recommend going to a professional piercer. Not a pedi, not someone at the mall, but a licensed piercer that uses a sterile needle rather then a gun.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My daughter had hers done at six months and her pedi did it. I felt better going there instead of the mall.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My girls had it at 2.5 months at Wal Mart they did really good and I will be taking the new baby there as soon as she is old enough.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• they do say its best to do it right after their born but if not within the first couple months. because it hurts less. i'm not too sure i dont have a baby girl yet!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I did my girls at 6-8 weeks.

Answer by gemgem at 3:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It's best to do it when they can consent to it, and express a desire to alter their body.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• 6m
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 3:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It's not altering their body! It's two tiny little holes that easily grow shut. Kirista you have some nerve . . . coming from the same woman who just admitted she smokes pot while breastfeeding. Why don't you let your babies wait and decide if they want to use marijuana instead of forcing it on them?? My ped. just told me to wait until after the 4 months shots. I will probably get my daughters done before Christmas.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Sorry, I agree with Krysta on this one. I think it is wrong to force a piercing on a child when they have no idea what it is or if they even want it. I did not get earrings until I was able to ask for them, and neither will my daughter.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Blah blah blah, to each their own OK. No need to come in here and preach. She asked a question and those of us who had it done are answering.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2008