My birth plan. Any suggestions on what to add or things I may have forgotten or things YOU think are important?

There is a section for people I want in the room as well, it's just not shown here. :]

Birth Plan

Once I'm admitted, I'd like:

*My partner to be allowed to stay with me at all times
*To try to stay hydrated by drinking clear fluids instead of having an IV
*To walk and move around as I choose

INTERVENTIONS

As long as the baby and I are doing fine, I'd like to:

*Have intermittent rather than continuous electronic fetal monitoring
*Be allowed to progress free of strict time limits
*Be checked for dilation/effacement only if necessary or if requested

LABOR PROPS

If available, I'd like to try a:

*Birthing pool/tub

PAIN RELIEF

*Please don't offer me pain medication. I'll request it if I need it.

PUSHING

When it's time to push, I'd like to:

*To do so instinctively
*Be coached on when to push and for how long
*Be allowed to progress free of strict time limits as long as my baby and I are doing fine
I'd like to try the following positions for pushing (and birth):

*Sitting upright
*Semi-reclining
*Side-lying position
*Squatting
*Hands and knees
*Whatever feels right at the time

VAGINAL BIRTH

During delivery, I'd like:

*To give birth without an episiotomy

After birth, I'd like:

*To breastfeed as soon as possible
*Not to get oxytocin (Pitocin) after I deliver the placenta unless it's necessary
*A family member to cut the umbilical cord

POSTPARTUM

After delivery, I'd like:

*24-hour rooming-in with my baby
*Limited interruptions from nursing staff unless necessary

FEEDING ISSUES

I plan to:

*Breastfeed exclusively

Do not offer my baby:

*Formula
*Sugar water

DISCHARGE

I'd like to:

*Be discharged from the hospital with my baby as soon as possible

ours

Asked by ours at 7:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Wow, that's a lot of planning. I would just relax and let it happen.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I suggest that along with your *please don't offer pain meds I will ask that you also have them wait a min of 5 min and then ask you if you still want them before making the order. It is not unrealistic and you may find yourself wanting the meds during a particularly hard contraction only to get through it, regain control and feel you can make it without it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Also add that is a c-section becomes medically necessary who you would like in the room with you and that you still would like no bottles offered unless medically necessary before you can nurse.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Your plan as is sounds open, realistic and shows that you have done your homework. Having a plan is a good way to help the staff know the best ways to help you. There is nothing wrong with that. Just keep in mind it is not a birthing plan as much as birthing preferences.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It's better to be prepared in my opinion, especially with the birth of your child! :] I unfortunately didn't educate myself with my first pregnancy and ended up with a stressful, confusing labor. When it comes to my body and my baby, I'd like to make sure that I've done what I can to make sure things go well.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• That's a good idea But Mommie! I'll make sure to discuss that with my doctor.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have delivered two healthy babies - the first on a spinal block, didn't even know when I was pushing. The second, nothing! I delivered too fast once at hospital for any pain relief. If this is your first baby, it's important to remember that there is a window on pain meds - you can in fact reach a point in delivery when help with pain will not be an option. Maybe you should let them know you would like a heads-up when you reach this point during delivery. I must say, inspite of the pain, my second delivery, without pain meds. was absolutely wonderful and I would not change a thing about it -it just seemed more"real" then the first, no-feeling- delivery. good luck
    pleasantmom1000

Answer by pleasantmom1000 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I think it is wonderfuk that yhave put a lot of thought into your birth plan. I did as well. But the most important part of it all is that you will do whatever it takes to get the baby out safely. If all goes well, and you CAN stick to your plan, more power to you. But i have heard that a lot of time, the birth plan doesnt go perfectly, or as you would like it to and you need to be flexible on what. Truly important to your birthing experience.
    Good luck.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I will definitely do whatever is necessary to keep her safe, which means changing parts of the birth plan too. This is definitely more of a way to plan the best we can :]
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I'll put it this way, unless you are going to birth at home, none of that is going to happen unless you MAKE it happen. YOU have the right to do as you choose, to refuse any and all interventions regardless of "policy".

1 out of every 3 women in america walks into a hospital in labor, and has a cesarean section... you decide.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2011