Nearly 6yo doesn't listen and then ruins dinner.... WWYD?

DH is working tonight, so the kids and I were going to have mac and cheese for dinner. My almost 6yo wanted to make it, so I told him he could do everything, but he had to let me tell him when and how to do things.

So, we leave the pot to boil. I tell him not to touch it. I run downstairs to switch the laundry. I come upstairs and he's dumped the "cheese" mix into the boiling water.

WWYD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give him a sandwich & send him to bed.
    Anonymous

• Throw out the cheesy water, and have peanut butter and jelly for dinner. Next time I wouldn't trust him on his own.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• was tht the only thing for dinner??? I think its sweet how children want to help... even at the rush times.... does he chealp with laundry too??? too cute
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 7:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• you never leave a child near a stove any time ,laundry could wait he is only 6yrs old what do expect he could burn him self you are dame lucky that did not happen don't cry over spilled milk
    my son grab pot coffee when he was little burned him self first and second degree burns i just left room less then min
    years of pain and in out of hospital almost loss of hearing because that one moment i left the room
    you can still have mac & cheese just cook everything together and mix add more cheese it taste better
    but remind him never ever go near the stove i don't want you to get hurt
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 7:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Thats exactly it! He knows better! I didn't leave him in the kitchen. He went back when I went downstairs. I'm neurotic about safety with the stove. Thats what has me really upset. He knows that to be in the kitchen, he must be on 100% best most perfect behavior. He has a friend that was severely burned and he knows how dangerous fire is. While I'm ticked that we're stuck with PB&J (I must admit that there is nothing quite like blue box mac and cheese.... yum), and most upset that he didn't listen and the risk that included this time.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yep, I'd do the sandwich and early bedtime. He deliberately disobeyed, even if he was just trying to "help" (which I'm not sure about, given that you implied he's a bit...strong-willed). In the name of safety, he must learn to follow the rules. I'd also have a talk with him.

Sorry about your mac & cheese!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• first off, your rules for him being in the kitchen alone are ridiculous...I don't care HOW well behaved a child is, if he has the access to pour cheese into the water then he has the ability to dump the pot of boiling water on himself....He's 6!!!! Good grief..he shouldn't be cooking on his own. That is very irresponsible on your part to go downstairs and leave him alone that long??? That's the ONLY thing I see wrong with this situation. You shouldn't punish a kid for trying to help out. Period. I don't care how many thumbs down i get either!! That's was completely irresponsible...next time order a pizza.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Sounds like he just got a bit over excited and lost his 6 yr old mind for a min.
    I'm not sure I would punish -beyond having something else for dinner, but I would talk to him and explain WHY you wanted him to wait.
    I agree with calliesmommie in that -he wanted to help and not sure punishing is really the way to go on this
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• If it was my kid they'd eat a sandwich (probably plain cheese because that's all we have) and go to their room for not listening. A 6yo is perfectly capable of following instructions and being trusted in a kitchen. I trust my 4yo in the kitchen. She has free access and watches the food for me and will come tell me if it's boiling over or the oven dinged. She already knows how to work the microwave and runs it on her own to warm her food.

Then again, my husband can't figure out how to make boxed mac & cheese either. Sigh. My 8yo just helped me make homemade mac & cheese (she poured the pasta in and stirred it while it was boiling).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Personally, I would not have left my daughter alone with it because I know her well enough to know she would want to attempt to make it on her own. She would not care that I said I had to tell her how to do it. Once she was alone, being as independent as she is she would want to try it on her own. She would not even care that she was going to get in trouble. It would be so hard to her not to. But with that being said, if I did leave her alone and she did do that. I would tell her that now she was not able to even help with dinner and she would have to go sit down until dinner was done and make her sit in a "time out" until dinner was made.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2011