Is it safe to switch around dog foods on a 5 month old puppy

I ran out of the food I usually feed her with and the place I get it is 30 miles one way ( we live in the middle of nowhere) but I do have some leftover soft food from when she was really little...is it okay to switch her back to soft until i can get to town and buy the usual food

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 7:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Pets

• It can be done, but like the others said, it will most likely cause gas and/or runny poo. If they were in the wild, their diets would change practically everyday. I rotate my dogs' food (between flavors,but within the same brand) every six weeks and I just make the switch gradual over a week's time...they are both adult dogs though. Some dogs do have an "iron gut" and don't need to make the switch gradually. Maybe yours will be one of those lucky ones! lol
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 7:50 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Sure, just stay on the puppy chow version so he doesn't get too much concentrated protein. He might end up with gas and a little runny pooh at first, but it's perfectly safe.
    pleasantmom1000

Answer by pleasantmom1000 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• if you don't switch gradually it could really affect their digestive system and you will get a sick puppy. especially if you go to soft, get ready for some runs....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• You can but again you might have runny pooh
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 2:49 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• it should be OK
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 24, 2011