How young is too young for a cell phone?

My 10-year-old and my 8-year-old have been whining for cell phones...but I think they are way too young! What do you think?

mommatara1268

Asked by mommatara1268 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• The right age is when they can pay the bill themselves - I am 49 and survived childhood without a cellphone - we used pay phones, our friends parents land lines, etc. I still do not have a cellphone, nor does my ten year old (Oh, yes, she wants one), and we get by - we communicate - it's not a NEED, it's a WANT - "We appreciate those things most that we have to work for..." - hope this helps
    pleasantmom1000

Answer by pleasantmom1000 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I think they are a little young. But im sure all the kids their age at school probably already have them. Its crazy how young they are getting them now,
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• i have to agree wth pleasantmom...they don't really want the phone, they want the various uses/games the phone will likely feature. its really just another babysitter, isn't it? even for adults!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• You are right, they are too young. I fully agree with the first responder...its definatly not a need. The whole `for emergencies`thing is a load of crap, since when are kids that age alone long enough to need it. I would say 15-16 then they can get a job and get one themselves.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think you should NEVER give into whining.

The issue here is NOT are they too young.... but how they are going about trying to get it. THAT is the big picture issue.

IF you want them to have a phone, that is your choice.... BUT they need to earn it.
    Anonymous

• For our family, anything younger than high school is too young.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Too young IMO.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Well I know they are young but as crazy as this world is if they are old enough to hang out with friends alone and go places like the mall movies ect I want mykid to to be able to call for help or if they are missing it can track the phone
    kennysmom09

Answer by kennysmom09 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I don't think that someone should have a cell phone unless there is a genuine need for it (maybe sports after school, driving a car, etc.). If they are around someone else who has a phone that they can use in case they need to get a hold of you, then there's no need for them to have one. It ultimately depends on the situation, but I would say maybe a mature middle schooler and high schoolers can have them, but definitely not in elementary school. Below middle school, kids don't have sound judgment when it comes to making their decisions. It takes just one person's older sibling to be involved in sexting (or other inappropriate usage of a cell phone), and then that person's younger sibling can learn from them, and then share it with the friends their age. Having a cell phone is a big responsibility. When you do decide to get your children cell phones, make sure that they know how to use it properly.
    LDay694

Answer by LDay694 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• We just purchased a phone for our 10 year old because she has started walking to and from school. The phone is restricted to allow only calls from approved people, so right now that is mom, dad and Godmother. The phone also has GPS so we know where she is at all times.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 8:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2011