My little one is a really picky eater how do I get him to eat new things!

I have tried everything. All he eats is yogart, apple sauce, fig bars and cheese curls! Thats it, he'll drink milk and juice but not water. I have let him play with all kinds of things! Don't know what else to do!!!!

lovelife29

Asked by lovelife29 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him things that he can dip into the yogurt and applesauce. To get him to drink more water than juice, just start watering down his juice. Start by adding just a little water and then keep increasing it until it is more water than juice.
    jenfitz42

Answer by jenfitz42 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I agree with jenfitz42! My son loves dipping, except every now and then he uses the dipping item more of a spoon then actually eating it. I was also raised that my parents are not short ordered cooks so what was made was what you ate and I'm doing the same thing with my son (obviously I'd make him something different if I know he can't eat it or has tried it and doesn't like it). Your child will not starve himself. You can also try to include him in helping make dinner or pick out foods at the store. Good luck!
    amygoetsch

Answer by amygoetsch at 8:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Try offering both "preferred" and "non preferred" foods at each meal. Encourage him to lick the non preferred food. Eventually, you can graduate to putting it in his mouth (with a spit cup) and then eating.

Also, you might want to invite some other children over to eat with him. Sometimes, toddlers will try new foods if they see other toddlers eating them.

Good luck!
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 8:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My youngest son learned the 3 bite rule in daycare.It worked well for him.Any new food you must take 3 bites and if you don't like it after the 3 bites you don't have to eat it.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• The dipping thing is a good idea I'll try that. The thing is he don't even talk yet he has Autism. He's attention spand is so short. Thank you everyone for the advise. It's sweet of all of u!!!! =)
    lovelife29

Comment by lovelife29 (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2011