Pregnant after tubes tied

Did it happen to u or know someone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It happened to my mom. She had three kids in less than 2 years (no multiples), and she decided no more. She had her tubes tied when she had my little brother. A couple of years later she found out she was pregnant again. Because her tubes were tied, she ended getting pregnant in one of her tubes and had to have it removed. It was hard for her, but she knew that both her and the baby would have died.

Tubes are not actually cut and tied. They are clamped, and the clamps can be defective.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It happens to some, but not many. Tubes CAN grow back together but it's not that common.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 8:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I've heard of it happening when someone get's it reversed on purpose. I have a friend who did that successfully. Never knew of anyone to have an "unplanned" pregnancy that way.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My dad had a vasectomy that didn't work. My little bro is 17 now.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Wow. I had no idea this could happen. Crazy stuff.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Not me (it's only been 4 years) but I know more than one person it's happened to.
    Anonymous

• Actually, nowadays, the tubes ARE cut. Mine were cut, tied off, and the ends burned (cauterized). Tubes have been known to grow back together and, if they do, it usually happens between year 3 and 5 post-tubal.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2011