I'm 23, how can i look more mature and professional?

I work at a vocational school, I am the youngest worker here. How can I look more professional? I am tired of people asking me if I am a student.
I do not look too young but definitely 20s. I am heavy set so it is hard finding clothes that cover my breasts while still being "fashionable".
I just wear scrubs because I work in the medical dept. But I think I need to wear dressy clothes so I appear more professional.
Besides black pants and dressy tops, any other tips??? Thanks!!!

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 8:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Im on the heavier side, well I was before I got preg. I had the same issue! I went to Torid for some tops and if you can wear their dress pants. They are more expensive but they have a classy dress look that is very professional.
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 8:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• it's hard to make that transition! i am 26 and still working on it lol try to find stylish, classy pieces instead of the trendy things. classy doesn't have to be boring they make cute stuff in the womans section you just have to search lol it is so tempting not to always go to juniors for me because i am too skinny. good luck with your shopping :)
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I had this problem in my 20's I looked like I was in my teen's (now well time got to me) Try different ways of doing your make up. How about heal's and wear your hair in a bun?
    mandyandthree

Answer by mandyandthree at 9:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Hair and shoes can go a long way in addition to the clothing. I don't just wear black pants...if you have the choice branch out to grays, browns, whites. I don't have a high volume of "nice/work" pants...but the ones I do have I spent the extra money on for quality and waited out for a good fit. Once you have some good staple pants, these will help you pull off a variety of tops. I would set aside what you can afford to spend and focus on finding some good pieces you can mix and match.

I am 27, and I am a teacher. I CONSTANTLY get mistaken for a student, and it is quite amusing to see how poorly some people can treat you when they think you are a student, and then the "oh crap!" looks on their faces when they realize you're a teacher! LOL! I have had people walk in and ask me what I was doing in my classroom unsupervised going through filing cabinets! LOL! Um.........my job? LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Oh, and cowl necks or "boat" necks can be a nice way to stay covered but professional looking.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Thank you fuys so much for suggestions!
    haha and glad to see I am not the only one with this problem. :))

I also worry about my make up. I have always worn heavy make up. I used to wear hot pink, green, purple etc. eyeshadow. Now I stick with natural browns or smokey eyes. I still feel like I am pushing it w/ smokey eyes, but it also makes me look older (atleast i think)
    Just need to get the hand of this.

And Im heavy so heels are just not comfortable, well not cheap ones anyways. I wear cute/dressy ballet flats. Which does make me feel juvenile. Maybe i will look into ones with little heels. just to add that umph-- :)
    sassy_brizzy

Comment by sassy_brizzy (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I was 19 when I began my finance career. It was very hard getting the big wigs to take me seriously at first. All I can say is no tight clothing, no boobs showing, and don't let anyone push you around. The older employees expect that from the younger employees. It will take a minute but they will see that you are serious!
    mommyxdos

Answer by mommyxdos at 10:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Being chesty myself I find the little camisoles you can get anywhere are my best friend. I have them in any color and they can turn a cute going out shirt into something completely appropriate for work once you throw a nicely coordinated camisole under it - blocks the cleavage. Choose smart classic pieces that won't go out of style to stretch your budget - the apporpriate length black skirt, a brown skirt along with the wrap blouses you can get at Limited with a cami under to hide the twins. Cami's are a chesty girls best friend. Try to pair with a nice pair of black, brown close toed heels, some nice silver small hoop earrings and a necklace to complete your look.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• make up sounds fine.. maybe tone down the smoky eyes a touch, and watch the lip coloring, you'll want a subtle natural shade, stay away from lips that are too pink.. a softer cooler tone will suite better. Sleek the hair into a more professional classy style.. loose hair tends to make you look younger. I'm not saying go for a tight bun, but a nice classy chignon is practical, easy, and more professional looking. (pm me if you need to know what it is or how to do different professional styles of this).
    As for clothes, I know you want to stay away from plain black dress pants, so try some funner styles.. maybe some pinstrip pants with a nice blouse that matching the subtle striping with a jacket over top. Still stylish, but professional and more mature looking (without overly aging you into grandma clothes, lol).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:39 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:46 AM on Mar. 17, 2011