How would you respond

my sons father joined the army. yea i am alittle tore up about it jus cus we were reallyclose but when he first told me about the army his first comment was "well you will be getting more money." yes money supports your child but i personally think that just because your pay child support doesnt mean your supporting them you also got to spend time with them
guess the question is how would you respond to something like that?

goobersmom713

Asked by goobersmom713 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would be glad he wanted to pay child support and put his kids first. My dad owes my mom support money or did and would never pay it. He is doing the right thing.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• i dont think it would of bothered me so much if said something like dont worry paxton will get more money and benefits instead of i getting the money i am one that all the support i get gets spent on my son like clothes diapers etc and the sometimes i get him a toy or something with it
    goobersmom713

Comment by goobersmom713 (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Well, if you are on close friendly terms I might say "you know the other day you said xyz. It worried me because it made me feel like you were planning on being less of a participant in (the kid)'s life."

If you don't feel close enough for that to go well I would just squelch it and be glad your child will be financially supported.

Also, my dad was in the army and I don't remember all the time he missed - it made the time he was home that might more special. So maybe it won't be as bad as his statement makes you worry.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I'm not sure what your specific objection is: that he will be away and not able to spend time with the boy? Personally I have a moral objection to anyone enlisting, but that's me. If it's the not spending time together, maybe you can arrange to have more time when he is on leave? ??
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I understand where you are coming from, yes money is important and it helps, but you want him to spend more time with your child. Understandable.
    BeachMommy07

Answer by BeachMommy07 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• This is his path; national service can be a great way to start a career. Encourage him

Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My response would have been "he (the child) will miss you.".
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:43 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i understand why he is going and i am very happy for him and wish him the best a luuck and ill miss him i just wish he would of rephrased the "well YOU will be getting more money now to" comment he made when he first told me
    goobersmom713

Comment by goobersmom713 (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2011