"walking" epidural

first for those that dont know what it is, a walking epidural is a spinal epidural that give relief to the pain but does not completely block feeling from the waist down. you are still able to feel the pressure and when to push, are able to walk and move around as normal, and does not transfer to the baby.
with my first baby i had the regualr epidural which i found no problems with except that since i didnt know when i was having contractions i had to be told when to push. note, i still had a great labor and birth and everything went smoothly.
the second baby i had a walking epidural which i found to be so much nicer. i was still able to feel the contractions and the urge to push and up until that time i was pain free and able to move around the room and bed when i wanted.

i was just wondering if anyone else has had one and what they thought about it. if they felt it was nicer than the regular epidural and also wondering being as a normal epidural can cause delays in pushing because of no sensation why a walking epi isnt used more widely in place of a regular epi?

laura970

Asked by laura970 at 9:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had never heard of this (I'm 7 weeks with my first) but I am so glad you mentioned this. It'll definitely be on my list of questions for the doctor!
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I had a walking epidural with my first. It basically just let me relax more and took the edge off, but I could still feel my contractions and stand up and walk a bit. I had a regular epidural with my second, and I couldn't feel anything and couldn't move my legs. I progressed much faster with the regular epidural, and found it much easier to push.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have never heard of this but it sounds good. I have done the regulare epideral and have done it with nothing but the last time was so freakin painful i thought i was going to die lol but i might try this.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 9:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I had the walking epidural and it took away a little pai but had to get the regular because it isnt really strong.
    Anonymous