I need your opinions on inducing labor

Please tell me about benefits/pros and risks/cons of inducing labor and how long past the due date to wait to induce

feel free to share your experiences

Please keep it civil ladies, its not a debate, Im just looking for your personal opinions.

Thank you

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 10:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• The risk of induction is debatable among doctors but most agree that the baby becomes stressed and that in turn can cause issues with the heart, breathing and the baby becoming ill all together. I was induced and hated ever second of it.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I was three weeks overdue with my forth baby and went to the hospital to be induced but I went into labor naturally on the way to the hospital. I've heard that an induced labor is more painful, more intense. I was terrified of being induced which is probably why I went into labor spontaneously. :)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I was induced with my son and I wish I would have just let nature take its course. I ended up having pointless painful labor for 23hrs and didn't dialate at all. I ended up having a c-section. I bet if I would have just let my son come out when he was ready I would have had a vaginal birth (which is what I wanted). My advice is to let your baby come out when he or she is ready..not when you are ready.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I had three children and carried all of them 3 weeks past my "due dates". I went into labor naturally all 3 times and delivered 3 very healthy babies. I am against inductions unless there is a real reason for it to be necessary. Being tired of being pregnant nor convenience for the doctor qualifies as a reason. Your body knows and your baby knows when it is time, and I personally think that should not be messed with. The stuff they give you is hard on your body and it's hard on the baby, so it's best to just let things happen as they will.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My understanding is that's very risky for first time moms and ends up in a c-section about 50% of the time. (This is from memory so I could be wrong). But the more children you've had naturally the less likely it is to fail. I don't know of any doctors willing to let a mom go 3 weeks past her due date, maybe a midwife would though. My 3rd baby came really late. My doctor told me 10 days was the most he would let me go, but when I got to almost 10 days he told me 14 days was the very farthest he would go. My baby came on his own 10 days overdue. He was a big baby and hard to push out. After that the doctor told me he would induce any future babies of mine earlier. I'm not pregnant, but ever since he's said that I've debated how I feel about it. I don't like the idea of deciding for my baby when it's ready, but by the time you're already overdue is it really dangerous for the baby? I doubt it.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I had to be induced with my third. I wanted to wait until 14 days past my due date, my doctor wanted to do it at 10. She compromised, made me come in daily to monitor the baby and did it on day 12. My baby responded poorly to the pitocin so they shut it off. I did start contracting on my own later that night and delivered very quickly. Overall, we went in at 6am and he was born at 11:49pm but most of that time was just us hanging out waiting for something to start happening. I couldn't eat anything, one nurse slipped me some crackers, but I was starving!! He was healthy and 8lbs 11oz.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:01 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My son was a week late and I wen in to get induced and It really wasnt that bad. I had the epidural so i couldnt feel anything. i was in labor for 24 hours but that is only because I wasnt dialating. My little guy just wasnt ready to come out yet so I wasnt dialating. i ended up having a c-section. I would take being induced over having a c-section any day!! The c-section was was my worst experience.
    AydinsMommy2311

Answer by AydinsMommy2311 at 1:21 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• The reason for Induction is to help get baby out when he/she is safer outside than in.

This can be at 35 weeks or 40 weeks or 45 weeks.

Avoiding unnecessary interventions (of all sorts) is safer, this goes for labor induction especially.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:25 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• on reason why doctors wont let you go too far past your due date is because it can cause harm to the baby and make it harder for the mother to get the baby out naturally because they keep growing...thats also when most c sections happen when the baby is too big for mommy to push out on her own..my best friend was induced both times and she said that she wasnt in that much pain because it didnt come naturally but her daughters were both fine and both at a healthy weight and size and were not too big...she wasnt progressing at all on her own and the doctor was afraid that if he didnt induce her he would end up doing a csection to get the baby out and she did not want to do that
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 3:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I would never induce unless there was a REAL medical problem. Normal human gestation is 38-42 weeks. There is nothing wrong with going past your "due date." My son was born at 41 weeks and 1 day and I had a very easy, fast delivery, because he and my body were ready. 45% of first time moms who are induced end up with a c-section compared to only 8% of first time moms who go in to labor on their own. One of the leading causes of premature birth in the US is induction. Dates can be off. Babies end up in the NICU. So. Not. Worth. It.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:28 AM on Mar. 17, 2011