Is my son...

is my ds the only 3 year old that gets hystercal when a toy he likes "breaks"? he's got this fan thing that had a sucker on the bottom and every time the plastic comes off the part where the sucker was he freaks out.

dreamangel06

Asked by dreamangel06 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am not sure why he does this but I would talk to his dr if it worrys you
    MominCa

Answer by MominCa at 10:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• LOL. it's very very normal for a kid that age to become overly attached to his toys. My solution is to only buy really good quality toys that don't easily break. As he realizes that the toy can be fixed or replaced, his anxiety will lessen, but don't trivialize his feelings. The over-reaction is not an over-reaction to him. He is genuinely really upset, so comfort him and reassure him that it will be okay.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• it doesnt really bug me, but i am going to mention it when we do his check up next month just to be safe. it was a gift from our neighbor and its got a portable fan in the shape of an airplane on the it. i have showed him how to do it, it just screws on and off in 3 turns or so. he got it off again but i didnt go up and fix it but he was fine with in a few mins.
    dreamangel06

Comment by dreamangel06 (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yes. Three yr olds are like that. That's just part of being three.
    Anonymous

• Why don't you ask your neighbor where he got it and get another one.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• talk to his doctor if this concerns you and three year olds are like that anyhow
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Sounds like he is just a sensitive little guy!
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2011