Best way to urge my room mate to pay rent...

So, my boyfriend and I let a good friend move in with us last summer after I lost my job, and he needed a place to stay so at the time it really worked out for everyone. I think since last June, he paid rent ($400) on time maybe 4 times, maximum. He goes to school with me and gets financial aid like I do, and has a part time job in a bar. SO last month, he paid us late yet AGAIN, but only paid us $350 of the $400. We are getting SO tired of him paying us late bc it makes us super broke, we are expecting and have other bills to pay as well. So for this month, my boyfriend made him a list of what he owed, and tacked on what he STILL owed from last month, gave it to him several days in advance and said we must have it in total by the 1st of March. Well, it came, it went. We reminded him numerous times, he said he would get it "tomorrow". So, our bank account was somehow hacked, so we had to hotcard it which means cancel our cards and get new ones which take 2 weeks to get to us. This was on a friday, my boyfriend had to leave on a work trip Monday morning to New Hampshire. We told our roomie the situation, said now we cannot access ANY of our money for 2 weeks, and we need you to pay rent! He told us he didn't have it and he is really sorry??? WTF!!! I am so pissed off. He has money to spend on cigarettes, and pot. He smokes in my house after I have numerously asked him not to bc I am PREGNANT and I hate the smell of it. He leaves all the lights on, etc. He does not clean up after himself and has never contributed to any household items. (toilet paper, laundry soap, etc.) He goes out and parties almost every night, which we all know costs money. He has money to pay for gas. I don't know what to do. He was a really good friend, now I just hate his guts and I cannot stand to be around him. I feel like he is disrespecting us so much, and I dont know what to do about it. He is supposed to move out in May before the baby is due, but I am worried he wont be able to. If he cant pay us, how can he afford a deposit and rent somewhere else? My man has a soft spot for the guy, and really does not confront him or give him any consequences. He just acts like its all cool. I do not want to live with him any longer, and I want my rent!!! How am I supposed to go about doing this??

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 10:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• Good luck with your strike-- I hope your bf will see that you are right and I hope the freeloader moves out soon
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• let him know that if he doesnt give it to you by april 1st, you will be taking his stuff and putting it on the curb!
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• duuude kick his ass out.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• And if he doesnt by midnight that day, go and take his stuff and put it out
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Helloooooo? Kick his ass out. Unfortunately as you let him move in now you may have to legally give him 30 days notice and actually evict him if he pushes it. Thats why I'm a huge proponent for never letting anyone move into your house because this situation always seems to happen. Type out a 3 day eviction note and hand deliver it to him - (as I said I think in most states you have to legally give him 30 days) but maybe he'll be stupid and just move out. Cut your losses now - he obviously doesn't respect you or your home if he is smoking inside - gross. Kick him out!
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Kick the loser out! I agree with leksismommy. Give him til the 1st of the month and if he doesn't pay his rent, see ya pal!
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• You have two options give him 30 days notice or put up with his crap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i would LOVE to kick him out, but I guess the bigger issue is convincing my boyfriend. They grew up together, are best friends. And I don't think he would be willing to kick him out. BUT, I am not sure what my other options could even be.
    Tarrar

Comment by Tarrar (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Maybe take it to small claims court? I'm honestly not too sure about what could be done in that kind of situation.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• He's taking advantage of the both of you. Tell him to pay up or get out. Give him a certain amount of time to pay you the money he owes, or tell him he's going to have to move. If he smokes pot in your house, call the cops on him when your boyfriend is not around. It's illegal and he can go to jail. Your boyfriend should tell him he shouldn't smoke in your house with the baby comes. One other option is to tell him to choose between you or his friend.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2011