Is It Safe To Be Induced?

Im 38 weeks today and my doctor wants to induce me tomorrow because my baby has stopped growing and he has a low birthweight of only 4'11 Im worried becuase he is so small but Would he have a better chance of gaining weight outside my tummy. everything is perfect they said his lungs kidneys hearts and bladder are all functioning great.

Spini4281

Asked by Spini4281 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes! I was induced at 38 weeks. Thank God because it was discovered that the baby's cord was wrapped aroung it's neck. They discovered it during the induction. (I had an emergency c-section.) Had I went into labor on my own, my baby would not have survived. Good Luck!
    jess4uandme

Answer by jess4uandme at 4:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I would say if the dr. says it is better to be induced it is better to be induced.... I've heard of many people being induced if the baby stopped growing but I don't know what good it does... as for the induction, it is perfectly safe, worst case scenario, you may have to have a c-section or have a long labor... good luck, I'd trust your dr. and inductions are not as scary as they sound
    dance_chica

Answer by dance_chica at 11:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I was induced @ 39 weeks and my son came healthy and happy. I, personally, had no complications and had a "normal" preganancy and delivery. If your dr's. say it is ok, I would have to take their word for it. But if you don't feel comfortable doing it, go with your instinct. Good Luck!!
    rollerjrmom

Answer by rollerjrmom at 11:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• This answer will be in 2 or 3 parts: I work for a chiropractor who specializes in pediatric and pregnancy care. I am also a mom, grandmother, and friend of many women who have had babies naturally and by induction. I had the first of my own children by induction because "my doctor said so". It was the worst of all 3 of my deliveries. I had more pain, more tearing, more drugs, more post-partum issues than the other pregnancies that were natural and literally, a breeze by comparison. My grandson was induced (prior to due date) because again, "the doctor said so". His mom was in forced, unnatural labor for 2 days and a C-section was discussed. He was finally delivered with a severely misshapen head. He has been sick since birth (11 months old now) with chronic respiratory problems and ear infections. --- continued

Beth_n_illinois

Answer by Beth_n_illinois at 12:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I wouldn't do it, there is always a chance that your due date is wrong. Also there is no reliable way of determining a babies weight before birth so the estimation could be way off (ultrasound estimation can be off by 2 pounds either way). As long as the baby is doing fine (no other concerns) i would not consent to an induction. Also induction itself makes the chance of you getting a c-section much higher.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 12:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Noooooooooooo! Don't induce unless there is a serious complication and for some reason the baby NEEDS to be born now. Induction is so aweful! Why induce when the baby is fine? How does the doctor know he stopped growing? Doctors don't know how big the baby really is. I mean I've heard doctors tell women they were going to have a 10 lb baby and need to have a c-section only for the baby to be 6 lbs. With my son they said he was going to be 7 lbs and he was 9 lbs 13 oz!!! They can only GUESS as to the weight of the baby. They don't know.

Besides, the baby won't really grow better outside of you than inside. Either way the baby is going to grow. There is no such thing as a baby who suddenly stops growing (well, there is a really rare disease but it occurs just before puberty).
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 12:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• UGH! Some OBs really infuriate me because they're all about the interventions. The majority of which cause major complications. If you induce now you're probably going to have a c-section too.

The baby has 2-4 more weeks of growing inside of you. Let him do it. Inducing will only cause problems.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 12:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• part 2--continued....He wore a custom designed helmet for 5 months to try to reshape his head. It's better but will always be a mess and visibly deformed. He will have problems with his eustachian tubes and sinuses for the rest of his life. As far as neurological problems, that's yet to be determined. (The reason for the head deformity is because his head was fully engaged in the birth canal but her cervix was dilated to exactly ONE, zero percent effaced for close to 30 hours due to the unnatural nature of her labor. He was forced into position and was being crushed and squeezed against a brick wall by contraction after contraction.)
    Beth_n_illinois

Answer by Beth_n_illinois at 12:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• part 3--continued...As I look around now, I see LOTS and LOTS of flat and misshapen heads like never before. I've even asked parents about them. Induction...long labors...my doctor said I should....TOTALLY unnecessary. I also see patients in our office routinely who have been induced and have children and toddlers with problems. Labor is longer; epidurals can't be used for long periods of time; far too many C-sections become the end result when the labor continues; risk to the baby increases, etc. Except for an IMMEDIATE life and death issue with mother or child, induction or C-section is NEVER the answer. Due dates are only calculated averages. Babies are "on time" when they're 3 weeks early or 3 weeks past their due date. Doctors have begun to recommend inductions to avoid being called in for deliveries on weekends and holidays. (I have gotten this straight from mom's when I ask them for the reason for their inductions.)
    Beth_n_illinois

Answer by Beth_n_illinois at 12:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• It's becoming the norm. Now so are scheduled C-sections. It's the new trend in childbirth. No need to go through that demeaning process of labor without drugs...only a weak or uneducated woman would choose to do that when she could have it sooooo easy by picking her due date and having access to all the drugs and high-tech delivery options available these days! Babies have been born naturally on their "due dates" for thousands of years without interference from doctors. Please consider allowing your baby to get here when he's ready. If your baby is already a little underweight and may be struggling, forcing labor on him when he's not ready will cause undue stress on him during delivery...and you as well. Good luck with your decision.
    Beth_n_illinois

Answer by Beth_n_illinois at 12:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2008