How do you afford daycare?

I worked full time when I just had my first daughter.I was very lucky to have my husbands grandmother take care of her with out charging us a dime. Now, I have my second daughter and I was planning on staying home but it's looking like I'm going to have to go back to work (my husband is working 3 jobs and we are still having a hard time paying our bills). Anyway, I can not believe expensive daycare is. I know that it's a tough job and the providers deserve every penny of it but I just don't see how people can afford it!

We just worked out that if the girls 31/2 and 9 months were in the daycare near my house 6 hours a day 5 days a week it would be 960.00 a month! I've asked around and this seems to be pretty normal for daycare that is not through the state(which we don't qualify for). I just can't believe that people can afford this.

I'm trying to get my older daughter into a preschool instead of a daycare but the prices seem to be about the same. Seriously thinking about saying "adios!" to California!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• We can't. I have 3 kids & the total estimate a month would be around 1200 or more. Good thing I'm a SAHM.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 10:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It's not much better anywhere else to be honest. I would recommend either finding a friend that would be willing to do it at a discounted price or starting your own daycare! You can earn while being able to stay home with your kiddos!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 10:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• When we had both kids in daycare pretty much my whole pay went to daycare...I was basically working for health care (DHs healthcare is terrible). One of our boys in is school now so the cost has dropped by half and in 2 more years the daycare charges will be gone. As a teacher, it is extremely difficult to get a job in PA so I didn't feel like quitting would be wise for me. Once you quit it's really hard to get a district to hire you back...a lot of our subs quit to be SAHMs thinking they would just get right back in and that's not the case...they just keep getting called to sub and never get hired. So, basically even though it is expensive, in the long run it is the better option for us. Benefits are important and without my health care, we would be struggling big time.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My DD goes to Headstart and she goes for free.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• you can look for SAHM...the one I have works with us. i am in Az and CA is probably more expensive...also consider opposite shifts or even PT on his off days. Ihave 3 so feel your pain.
    Anonymous

• We both had 6 figure incomes when we had our first child. We delayed having kids so we both could finish school and have careers. Made things a bit easier for us. I am not sure how anyone works three jobs your poor husband. Have you considered doing daycare in your home rather than get a job outside the home? You would eliminate one expense and your kids would have others to play with. Just think if you took in two kids you could have almost an extra 1000 a month in income.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• When I took care of my daughter as myself a single mom, another mother and I split time between our daughters. She took care of the girls during the day, and I took care of them during the evening when the other mom went out (I paid her too). The two girls bonded to make their own sisterhood.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 1:01 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It would only be $960 a month for both of them? That seems like a great rate compared to here. Down here if I were to have another one right now (I have a 3 y/o) it would cost us $1800 a month for an infant and a 3 y/o in daycare. Right we pay $180/week for our 3 y/o and my husband and I both work F/T. We can afford to have another one, but if we did about 16% of our monthly income would be going to daycare alone and that seems kinda of ridiculous even if it's doable, it's like another mortgage payment. So we are waiting until our daughter is in VPK and half the day is free to consider trying for another.
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 8:48 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• That's less than I pay for daycare for two kids, ages 3 and 8, in Texas. And, one of mine is in school, so we only pay for before- and after-school care for her. My husband and I were well-established in our careers before we had our first child. And, our children are spaced far enough apart that we only paid for one year of full-day daycare for both together before our daughter went to school and rates for her dropped significantly. We still have to pay full-day rates during the summers, of course, but 3 months of full-day rates is a lot less expensive than 12 months.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Some companies around here have an on-site daycare. Other people have some of their daycare expenses paid through the state. Still others find relatives, friends, etc. to babysit. I know that some older folk love to babysit, so you could check with your local churches to see if they know of anyone that does that. Good luck to you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2011