Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son ate deordorant

I called poison control they said just to give him water. How does this make sense when the lable says to seek immediate medical attention? Has anyone's child ever done this??? He never puts anything in his mouth now two weeks before his third birthday he starts this stuff....

Answer Question
 
BubstersMomma

Asked by BubstersMomma at 4:08 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • I would call again because deoderant contains aluminum...if you can't get any help go to the ER better to be safe than sorry.
    Apr1l

    Answer by Apr1l at 4:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • Call the pediatrician to get another opinion. IME toddlers can eat small amount of alot of things, they jsut say seek medical attention b/c in large amounts they are dangerous.
    goaliemom93

    Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • everything says seek medical attention, do what the poison control center said to do...they have all the info in a nice little binder in front of them. When you tell them all that stuff they asked for, they look it up and get the correct way to fix it. He needs to drink lots of water because deodorant dries things out....he's gonna be thirsty. And don't call them back unless he starts acting funny, that's a waste of their time, they should give you a check up call to see if he's ok after a certain amount of time.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • MY son at a HUGE chunk of my deoderant once....he threw up....I gave him some water and he was fine.
    Dabugg698

    Answer by Dabugg698 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • I can feel your stress through my laptop. My daughter did the same thing, I could've died. I was so worried, poison control made me worry more, since they seemed like it was nothing. Thankfully, that's all it was, nothing. She had a good bite out of it, I could see it on her teeth. She was fine, never sick or anything. Good luck, I hope he is okay!

    Kerinmomof2

    Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • My daughters ate deoderant twice, and the first time we called the company and poison control and they said she may have an upset tummy and just give her water or milke, and the second time was a different brand deoderant ( first kind was male deoderant, second was female deoderant) and we just called the company and again, she may have an upset tummy, water or milk and she'll be fine.
    FinleyFirst

    Answer by FinleyFirst at 6:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • THanks everyone.. Now that i have calmed down I know he'll be okay. It was worse I think because I did'nt know how much he ate and because he has NEVER done anything like this before. I thought the fact that he's almost three that we were past the "let's put everything in our mouth" stage. He is fine but now he has a little rash around his mouth.(He had two chunks of it around his mouth that's how i knew he ate it. Besides the fact his breath smelt like grapefruit and lemon grass Lol).. But thanks again,,,
    BubstersMomma

    Answer by BubstersMomma at 9:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN