could i have twins??

If twins run on my side of the family and on the baby's fathers side does that increase my chance of having twins??

Ashley.herzing

Asked by Ashley.herzing at 4:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• iv heard it does but im not sure if it does for sure. i guess anyone could have twins technically.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Yes.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:13 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Only if they are fraternal twins. Fraternal twins run in families, identical twins are just a fluke.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My sister was a twin and they run in my family too. But 3 pregnancies and no twins. they say it does but it doesnt always happen. but then a person that has no twins in the family could have multiples.
    Anonymous

• Yeah fraternal twins. My mother was a fraternal twin and we've got one set of fraternals, an identical set and I'm pregnant with the third set which I'm led to believe are identical. But I'm not sure if both identical sets are coincidences!
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 4:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Only fraternal twins run in families, and it's ONLY through the mother. Your husband having twins in his family doesn't increase your chance at all. You inherit from your mother the propensity to drop 2 eggs at once. Identical twins are just a fluke.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 4:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2008