Butter/margarine

I want to cut out this stuff because its extremely bad for the arteries in my body. How hard is it to do? Have any of you actually done this?

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 11:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Health

• Just cut it out.
    Anonymous

• Use spray butter. Its better for you & still gives you some flavor.
    Anonymous

• butter is actually better for you because it is made from cream, and margarine is made from oil.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 11:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I could not imagine life without butter, Moderation is the key. If you're going for one over the other, butter is all natural and no chemicals. Yeah I know its 100% fat but I don't use as much as I used to, and I balance it in other ways by having whole grain toast with it.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• The problem with margarine is that it's made from hydrogenated oil, oil in itself is not that bad for you. But I have heard that butter is better than margarine. You can replace butter in things with oil, but you need to experiment with the ratio, you need a little less oil I think. I just read that yesterday because I've been trying to cut dairy out of my diet to test for an allergy.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I feel ya on the dairy,I'm not suppose to drink any milk at all but I like me some milk. lol
    MarGeee

Comment by MarGeee (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Haha , it is as easy as not buying it. It's a hung jury on what is better - butter is high cholestrol , but go get a tub of margarine and read the ingredient list - do you really want to stick all that crap in your body ( or your childs) - spray butter/marg has a similar list with extra stuff. Use pure cold pressed olive oil for cooking, find recipes for cakes and biscuits which use oil rather than butter ( eg carrot cake with pure canola oil), And make kids sanwiches etc without any spread so they don't get sucked into the same "need for butter" that we have
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• you can also try non dairy spreads like olive oil spread ( in the marg section) we also have Nuttelex - not sure its US equivalent
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I've never heard of spray butter/margarine. I think I will try olive oil for awhile.
    MarGeee

Comment by MarGeee (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Actually, nowadays, tub spreads are healthier than butter. Butter is almost entirely saturated fats, while tub spreads are primarily mono- and poly-unsaturated fats. Saturated fats contribute to heart disease, while unsaturated fats do not, but they all have the same calorie content, thus can contribute to weight gain.
    Any fat spread should be used sparingly. Just back off on use and go from there. It really can be done!! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:37 AM on Mar. 17, 2011