Receiving Blankets?

I am a lowly SM so I really don't know this. What is the purpose or point of receiving blankets? Do they have a special thing they do or are they really just "blankets"?

Just curious.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use them for swaddling because it's really warm here and my newborn sleeps good when he's swaddled. I also use them as a burp cloth substitute. I will lay them down and use them as a changing pad as well.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• We always used them for swaddling or when we were going out and just needed a lightweight blanket. I had a ton of receiving blankets so we found uses for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I got tons of them from my babyshower and honestly, I never used them. Now they have those swaddle blankets with the velcro "wing" things so that's what we used. I do think I used some recieving blankets as burp cloths or like a light blanket when we would go for a walk or something but that's it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:10 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Used them alot with mine for swaddling & for rolling up to use for neck support in car seat & swing. Also in the summer months instead of heavier blankets.
    kayleesmom42328

Answer by kayleesmom42328 at 12:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I used them all the time, originally for swaddling. I later found many uses for them. My son was a spitter upper and I would spot clean his swing or jumper and then put a receiving blanket over it till I was able to wash it. Also it saved the carpet some when he would have tummy time and again spit up. The boy was always spitting up, crazy!!! If the covers for his change pads were all in the wash a receiving blanket would work just fine. And when we were out and I had to change him in a public change table I would use receiving blankets. I do not like the plastic change pads, and really how often do you wash and disenfect it? You fold out the chage pad and then fold it back up, there is a piece that touches the change table that you fold into the clean part, grosses me out. So anyway I'd use receiving blankets and then they'd go into the wash when I got home.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:38 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• They are just blankets. Here they are known as bunny rugs. It is just words.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 4:36 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• receiving blankets are thin and i mainly used them to swaddle my baby and when i position my baby on her side, i roll up another receiving blanket into a hot dog shape and tuck it behind her back so that she stayed on her side.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 5:47 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I just use them for burp cloths, but I like all these responses :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 5:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Why do you call yourself lowly? be proud of yourself for having the strength to be a SM! You are a strong woman and you have it twice as hard! love yourself, lady :)
    kayceeisit

Answer by kayceeisit at 10:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i used them all the time for spit up work wonders
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2011