What kind of dog is best suited . . .

for a family who is gone from the house a majority of the day (school, work, etc.) - but is easy to train, can be alone (without tearing up stuff ;-)) and still rip and run with an energetic 13-year old boy at the end of the day? Thanks Cafe Moms!

pocmom

Asked by pocmom at 11:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Pets

• Beagles r good for being left alone without wrecking the house. They r easy to train.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:26 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Hmmm..here's a link that will help you.To the side there is a survey that will narrow down dog breeds by what you are looking for. GL

http://www.petcentric.com/Find-A-Pet/Dog/Breed-Selector.aspx?DCMP=KNC-PETC-T08-Goog-PCENTRIC10&HBX_PK=dog+breeds&HBX_OU=50
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:05 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• no dog will be okay totally alone for hours. They get lonely and that can lead to a badly behaved dog. Get two so they have each other for company or consider a cat. But that sounds like a Golden or an Irish Setter but both require a lot of grooming unless you keep them clipped.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:22 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• No dog should be left for hours on end each day. They will get bored and that's when they will rip stuff etc. Can you or your husband pop home at lunch time to check on him? A puppy especially can't be left like that. It needs to be gradual.

Dogs require a lot of work and training, but its really worth it if you invest the time properly. I have had labs in the past and they have been wonderful dogs, energetic yet loyal, playful and intelligent. I recently rescued a 3 yo golden retriever who is just wonderful and mellow yet loves to run and play. I have an english cocker spaniel (now 8 mos) who is boisterious, playful but well-trained and knows our boundaries. We also have a really lazy daschund who belonged to my MIL who can no longer care for him (she had a stroke). I would reccomend a lab or golden retriever really...they're wonderful!

Read up on dog training and also on ur chosen breed though- be prepared!
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 6:40 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• That could be just about any breed. I now Retrievers and Huskies are very energetic and always ready for some activity. However, most dogs DO NOT like to be left home alone the majority of the day. They are social pack animals and is hardly fair to them to shut them up alone for hours on end. Maybe consider getting two so that they at least have company?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Golden retrievers
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 2:48 AM on Mar. 21, 2011