Ever heard of this before ?

Sibling Shower ???? The idea is that you "shower" both the baby and the older sister with gifts so that the older sister welcomes the baby and doesn't feel left out.

BoundHearts

Asked by BoundHearts at 11:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• No. I think I might go out and do something with the oldest, to let her know my time might be tied up for a bit...but we can spend time together when ever I can. Alone time.But I would not buy my daughter all types of gifts just because I am having another child.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• wow, nope, never heard of that one before...I can understand having them there, and helping out....but to expect people to bring them gifts?? Um, nope thats news to me....
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• No. I think they are pointless. People need to teach the older sibling that they dontt always get something when the other gets something it's like giving them both presents at one another birthday times so other wont feel left out.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I've never heard of that nor do I think its a good idea. The best way to keep an older sibling from being jealous or resentful towards the new baby, is spending TIME with them...not money. Its like trying to fill a feeling of hurt or neglect with material things. Sure kids like presents and all that, but at the end of the day, they are still going to want the attention.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• And this goes to my point about people over compensating children and now we have a whole generation of 18 year olds who have entitlement complexes - i find it ridiculous. The world isn't going to celebrate them for everything they do so they may as well learn that lesson fundamentally when they are young.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I haven't heard that, but it sounds like it might be a nice idea, if only because then they can share some attention, but it's also good for them to learn that just because the attention is on the baby doesn't mean they're any less important or loved. I don't think it's fair to expect people to bring gifts for the older child is a lot to ask of people. It's nice for them to do it, but it's kind of rude to expect it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:09 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• No. My mom always just included us in the pregnancy and caring for the baby as much as possible so we felt that we were a big part of our younger sibling's lives. Worked like a charm. You'd be surprised what simply being asked to hand you a diaper can do to cure a kids jealousy.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• While i never heard of it before I have looked at gift registries and seen items for the other kid being requested along with baby stuff
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• This seems strange to me as well. I understand the impulse to try and make the transition easier... But you might just end up sending the wrong message (bribes only work while the bribes are flowing). I think that making sure you include siblings in activities with the new baby and taking time to be one on one with siblings should have the right impact while minimizing the negative side effects :)
    PeachyPeach30

Answer by PeachyPeach30 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• A silbling shower??? That's a new one for me. I have heard of people who give their older children gift's from the baby and such as if they can buy their affection. I don't think it's necessary. I'm due with baby #4 any time now and have not ever given the kids a gift for being a big brother/sister.
    I will however, when visiting someone with a new baby and an older child bring them something to do. The most recent was a friend and I took her then 2 yo dd some window writers. I also make a point of visitnig with the parent's and older child first before gushing over the baby.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:52 AM on Mar. 17, 2011