I accidently slapped my child across the face...

We were at the store shopping and he leaned forward in the cart and bit my forearm while I was distracted looking at something. The pain was so sharp and I didn't see it coming and didn't know what it was at first so my first reaction was to swat at the pain...but I ended up slapping his face. He didn't cry at all just looked stunned and his cheek was a little red. I felt soooo bad. I hardly even spank him and I would never intentionally smack him in the head. Am I a horrible mother? I kept thinking someone saw and was going to report me!! I almost feel like I deserve it...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've done it... My son did the same thing to me and it's a knee-jerk reaction! You feel awful afterwards, but as katieandchris01 said, he probably won't do it again. Just keep your head up & try not to do it again!! Although sometimes they make us want to slap them, but that's a whole other story!! good luck sweetie!!
    fcagle

Answer by fcagle at 12:14 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It's a normal reaction. I've done similar without intending to. It doesn't make you a bad mother. Sometimes you do things without thinking, this being one of those times.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:07 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• you are just brave for mentioning it here, sheesh , did you not know the perfect moms come out at night? lol, your child will not remember what you did and all is fine we all make mistakes
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:11 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• ohhh no....I'm sure it was just a reaction... don't worry, I'm sure you are fine. If your son didn't cry or anything, then I'm sure no one really thought much about it. But the good thing is that he most likely won't do that again....
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 12:07 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• NO YOUR NOT A BAD MOM!!! I did the same thing when my son bit my knee...I was sitting at the desk doing my schoolwork and I thought DH was playing with him so when i had a sharp pain i did the same thing you did....but he kinda got it twice....i guess i hit hard enough to push his head against the desk... =( I felt so bad!! He didnt have a mark or bump or anything but it sure made me feel like shit....but dont worry about it....I know its easier said then done but like another mom said....they will not remember...but look at the bright side...the shock of it might make it so he wont bite anymroe.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Definitely not a bad mom. I'm ashamed to admit that I've done it as well! It's one of those reactions you just can't help sometimes! He'll be fine, I'm sure, and he won't even remember it later.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:57 AM on Mar. 17, 2011