If a parent has a learning disabilty should they inform their child's teacher

let's say you have a learning disability and you are unable to help with homework because you just draw a blank when it comes to some types of school work wouldn't it be fair to tell the teacher so he/she understands that your not being a thoughtless parent but you truly are not any help for homework..and with the teacher knowing this can get an understanding about what kind of homework is okay to send home......because the parent is supposed to help with homework right?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 12:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I do not think it is necessary to disclose your personal health information to the teacher or your learning difficulties. However, it could be benefitial and helpful for both your child and your child's teacher to have some knowledge of it if it impacts your child's ability to learn. Example: a mother who sruggles with reading, writing, and spelling, AND the student is having difficulty in achieving academic progress at grade level, maybe several grade levels behind - what do we plan? Usually we have the parents assist in reading a chapter book and provide help with spelling words. It does not mean that help and doing are not the same thing. It is the same as tutoring.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I don't think it would hurt. I mean if you cannot understand the material, how are you supposed to help your child understand the material? If you at least let the teacher know that you won't be much help with homework, maybe he/she can offer you different options like a tutor or before/after school help.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:07 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• First of all what the parent understands does not mean that that should be the only homework that is sent home. If your child is working on something that you do not understand and they need more help then talk to their teacher and ask if they can stay an extra hour with them after school or durring a recess to help them a little more. Kids now are learning things sooner then what their parents did....my mom never had to take algebra...now kids are taking it in middle school if not sooner. So there will be some things that a parent just dosnt know. And a parent is suposed to help their children not do it for them....
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:11 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think open communication is super key to helping your child succeed in school! I have ADD just like my son does, and I always tell his teachers. I have a good SO who helps, but the more information they have the better!
    PeachyPeach30

Answer by PeachyPeach30 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think it would help to have a private conversation with the teacher and just let her know your concerns, just as you are telling us right now. I also think it helps for them to beware if your child might have the same learning disability. I wouldn't think a teacher would not be able to answer your concerns as they are very valid. Go for it! :)
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I would talk to the teacher and let them know what is going on so that they don't give the child a failing grade or bad report
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think open communication with the teacher, helps the child be succesful
    RACINGMANIA

Answer by RACINGMANIA at 9:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My husband has been very honest with my stepdaughters teacher about his adhd/add. Not only for the fact that he cant help because thats never been an issue but in case my stepdaughter exhibits the same difficulties he had as a child in the classroom.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 9:17 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My husband is ADHD, I am dyslexic, and no, neither of us will be informing the teacher. Our difficulties have nothing to do with our child's education and the child shouldn't be treated any differently than any other child because of them. Now, our son does have an anxiety issue, and that is something which the teacher will be informed of prior to the start of class. THAT does affect my son, so it's important that she knows. But my health issues? Nope.

And NO, it's not the parent's job to HELP with homework, it's simply their job to make sure it's getting done. One of my biggest pet peeves is a parent that HELPS with their child's homework. The entire point of homework is to get the kids more practice and allow the teacher to see who is having trouble with what before they move on. If a parent is helping or correcting the work, the teacher never gets the chance to see who has what weakness or who needs extra help...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Here's the other thing, if a child asks for help that a parent can't give - regardless of the age or grade level - then the parent should simply find someone who can help. My Aunt had NO CLUE about Algebra this past year, so when her daughter started to have trouble she didn't try and help, she just called me to tutor her... I worked with a guy that never learned to read. So when his son needed to learn he had his brother help... because he couldn't. Now, in these situations the parents simply didn't know how to help, but regardless of if it's a learning disability or simply lack of knowledge the parents can easily find someone who can help. IF there is an issue and they can't find help, then and only then do I feel a teacher should be informed of their disability. Like it or not, people in this world still have prejudices against LD individuals and their kids, and that's simply not something a child should have to deal with.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:09 AM on Mar. 17, 2011