My daughter is too PG... and she's four.

I know that kids say the darnest things, but I think my daughter passed the modesty aisle on her way down. She isnt afraid to speak her mind and is so frank that sometimes i see her grandparents hiding behind things. i am so proud of her but I do think I should start implamenting some sort of standards as to when it is ok to say something and when its not. Problem is, I am just as blunt about things to that my not condoning her free speech seems really hippacritical.

Angel_lips28

Asked by Angel_lips28 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• id say as long as shes not using bad words then let it go. my son was to smart for his own good and also spoke his mind maybe let her know that sometimes its not ok to speak our mind right there but hey.
    Anonymous

• maybe you should start to consider how your speech behavrio affects others as well. jsut because you are doing it doesn't necessarily make it the most desirable way to be. seeing your children display your worst habits can be a real eye opener. Perhaps you can both work on your tact and empathy together.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I think speaking their mind is great. If it is not bad words or saying rude things than it's fine. If she said something like that person is fat, or something that is were I would draw the line. My son speaks his mind and did that once and I had to have a talk with him at that point.
    He got it from his dad not me lol
    Anonymous

• There is a difference between being assertive and being aggressive. Assertive is getting your view across to another individual or group without being offensive. It is matter of fact and not pushy or demanding. Simply stating this is what I think, this is what I feel, this is what I need or want. Aggressive is stating that this is what I know is right and nobody else is right or has valid input. It is especially important for young girls to be able to express themselves in an assertive manner. Too many young women do not know how to be assertive and either are seen as passive or passive aggressive. Continue to encourage her to speak her mind and assist her when it is worded in a way that is hurtful. Also teach her that what she thinks or feels is a matter of perspective and everyone has one.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I had to teach one of my sons (he's now 14) that just because you are thinking it doesn't mean you HAVE to say it. Your thoughts are your opinions & sometimes people just don't want or need to hear one more opinion. He still speak his mind, but he does a better job now of deciding when its appropriate. This was also helped along by him getting in trouble at school repeatedly for not keeping his mouth shut when he should have.
    Anonymous

• I have always told my girls to speak their minds. Timidness gets you nowhere in this world, especially being female. You might want to try ways to teach her, age appropriately, what tact means and bad words are never a good way to express yourself since they make people think you are less than serious in your points and arguments.

Sounds like she may be a great debater one day!
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 5:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2008