How do you get your newborn into a routine?

AydinsMommy2311

Asked by AydinsMommy2311 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Never could. He resisted no matter how hard I tried. So we just went with the flow.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:10 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i don't really know what you mean. But my newborn fell into a routine pretty easily. I fed her every 3 hours. 12, 3, 6, 9 worked for me. so after her feeding at 9pm i would put her to bed in a dark room. i still fed her every 3 hours during the night. and 6am was the start of a new day. I usually go back to sleep that early and with all newborns they sleep most of the time anyways. I played with my baby any time she was awake which wasnt often. i didn't expect my baby to sleep through the night. i had to wake her up to feed her every 3 hours night or day. Around 2 months baby starts waking up on their own to feed. But babies vary.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 5:41 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• As far as feedings go.......... They will be able to go longer and longer between each one but it is a guessing game at first.Once they have more awake time you have to watch for signs of him being tired........yawning, etc. You will learn your baby's signs and then you can put him down for a nap. They are awake longer and longer and go from sleeping much of the time to several naps a day, then two naps a day and then one nap a day, and give it up entirely eventually. Watch for your babies signs and you should be fine!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:29 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Sorry an ad blocked my answer so I couldn't see what I wanted to go back to. I was saying as far as sleep goes they have more and more awake time.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I found it was easier to let him make the routine. When he was hungry I fed him. When he was sleepy i put him to bed. I didn't develop a routine with mine until 3 months. He gets up and eats between 6 and 7am, eats every 4 to 5 hours and then goes to sleep between 6 and 8pm. It works for us.
    Connors_Mommy12

Answer by Connors_Mommy12 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• newborns never have a routine they are still so small that they need extras
    you can try to get a routine started but don't be upset if it doesn't work out
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011