How do I keep strangers from coming up to my baby?

I'm due with my first child in July. Many of my friends who already have children have been telling me strangers will come up to them in the store to talk to and even touch their child! I would never go up to a child I don't know to touch their cheek or pet their hair. It makes me really uncomfortable that people do that.
How do you keep people from coming up to your children to make physical contact with them?

mommaJewels2011

Asked by mommaJewels2011 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• LOL How about a sign? "Careful, I'm contagious!" ...That should do it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Speak with a firm voice as in NO

I tell them flat out! My babies are not BARBIE DOLLS!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:45 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• it doesn't mean it will happen to you lololol
    Ericaca

Answer by Ericaca at 12:52 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think that if it is a non-creepy looking Grandma or Grandpa I would let them look! But when they want to touch I freak out! we only went out a few times when the boys were little but triplet strollers draw eyes!
    Good luck!!!
    tripletmom28

Answer by tripletmom28 at 12:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My kids are all older but I know what you mean, me and my husband go out for breakfast or lunch alot and we always see other people commenting on other peoples babies and I can't help but think it is rude to interfere with some strangers meal time and make comments about a baby..sure babies are cute but really...do you need to stop and bug people about what they already know
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:57 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Growl at whoever is approaching.  Let a little drool dribble out.  ;)  If that doesn't float your boat then just outright say "He or she is new and doesn't need to be touched".  I have to deal with this also and getting ready to go through it again.  I'm thinking about going with the growling, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:00 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• tell them they should keep back because the baby is very sick and sensitive to germs right now. i think this is a good way to get the point across without being mean. some people are just drawn to babies and can't help it..they mean no harm but unfortunately they overstep their boundaries.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I wore my 3rd dd in a sling most of the time when we were out and I found that people were less likely to try and touch her as she was literally attached to my chest. It drove me nuts when people tried to touch my other kids, even family I know who don't have the best hygine(sp??). I'm due any day now with my fourth and absolutely plan to wear this baby too.
    You could also say to people approaching your little one that he/she bites! lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Just say, "I'd rather you not touch him/her, please." Be frank, but polite. Some people are more in your face than others, but we didn't have a huge issue with random people touching our son. I guess it's easier when he's in a carrier, and not a stroller.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:08 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think that most people don't even realize what they are doing. You see a cute baby, even some men are reduced to talking baby talk, u have to stop and oh and ah over them. But yes, I do understand about ther not touching. I found if u bear you teeth, extend the the claws, all the while hunch over and look slowly back and forth like a mama wolf. Or u could get fangs like that chick on the show "Bachelor" lol
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2011