My 2 week old slept in his bassinet just fine before but now he wants to sleep with me and my husband all the time, what is the best way to get him to sleep in his bassinet and stay there?

AydinsMommy2311

Asked by AydinsMommy2311 at 12:36 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did this and nothing seem to work so he slept on mine and my husband chest untill he was about 2months old and started sleeping in his crib
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 12:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I just co-sleep with my little one. I think they need comfort; it's not natural to sleep alone. Babies need lots of cuddles and physical comfort just as much as they need to be fed.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• For my LO when he was that age it was the comfort of something being there that he wanted, not necessarily me. I'd place him on his back in his bassinet and put stuffed animals next to him, but not by his face. I'd swaddle him, then lay the stuffed animals about where his hands fell. That way he thought something/someone was lying with him, and I didn't have to worry about anything falling on his face. I would also leave one of my shirts pulled tight under him, like a sheet. I read somewhere children are soothed by their mothers scent and not necessarily their presence, and that many children found this scent in moms shirt. The combination of these things worked wonders. I was too afraid to let him sleep with us, for fear someone would roll over on him. So this got us through the bassinet nights, and by the time he moved to his crib he didn't need all the animals and shirts, he just slept there.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Your baby's still so young and this is normal. They'll want to be with you for months to come. Just sleep with the baby
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:52 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Try putting the bassinet in the bed with you. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:54 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• DS refused to sleep anywhere but on us for months. Right out of the womb he was that way- he screamed anytime he was in the bassinet at the hospital!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I co-slept with my first child, he loved it. Tried it with my second and she would not settle much to my disapointment! until I put her in the bassinet. My 3rd was a snuggler too.
    One of the best nuggets of advise I ever got was to ask myself why I have a problem with this behaviour? Have you asked yourself why you don't want to sleep with your lo? I'm not judging, I love co-sleeping, it's not something I share with the majority of my friends. But I would suggest you and dh ask yourselves that. Good luck with your decision:)
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• He is two weeks old. He does not know what he wants. You are misinterpreting his actions. If you do not want the baby in the bed then do not do it. If the baby cries heaps and heaps, then he might have an ear infection. Otherwise, grit your teeth and be a sensible mother.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 4:33 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Be consistent about where you want him to sleep. Have a set bedtime routine that you do every time it is time to sleep.  As they have more awake time they need a structured routine to be able to go to sleep.  He will adjust to whichever place you want him to sleep in but do not confuse him by alternating between several.  GL!!

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:22 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My doctor said that when babies reach 3 months is when it is time to put them in their bed, when they begin to get sleepy. She said that this is when they begin to learn how to self sooth. She told me that it is ok and normal for him to cry or whine for up to 15 minutes after I lay him down.
    Connors_Mommy12

Answer by Connors_Mommy12 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2011