Wedding invitation.... adult content

Would you go to a same sex marriage if invited and you do not believe in same sex marriages? This is a hot topic, and I don't want to be bashed or to bash anyone else's beliefs. If you know the two people, would you decline or send a card? If you send a card are you agreeing with the marriage? Not an easy spot to be in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly, I would not go. Like you, my God does not accept same sex marriage. When I found myself in a similar situation though, my friend already knew my beliefs and told me up front that she understood my position. It was never an issue between us. As far as sending a card....I just don't know. On the one hand you really want to reach out to your friends, but on the other hand it would seem like condoning the marriage. I just don't know. I don't think I could really answer what I would do unless I found myself in that exact situation.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:33 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Well I'm not in that position as I don't see a problem with Same Sex Marraige If you are uncomfortable simply state you cannot go. As for sending a card that is up to you. I don't think it signals your "approval of the marriage" if you send one, but it is the courteous thing to do
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• If you don't believe in same sex marriage, then you should not have one.

Love should be celebrated, not hated

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• yes i would still go. it is their lives and they are not harming anyone NOW if my friend was marrying a man who beats her bloody every time he has a bad day at work i WOULD NOT GO to the wedding.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:20 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It depends on how close you are to the people. Can you overlook your own beliefs and be supportive of people you care about, or will you let your own beliefs get in the way? It would be like asking an atheist if they'd attend a wedding if it included a full Catholic mass- they may not believe in it, but they would likely attend to be supportive of people they love.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Yeah I would go. I do not understand why you would not, if you are friends, despite your beliefs.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 2:13 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Not only would I do, but I would happily officiate!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I support gay marriage so I would go.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My sister married a selfish prick and I did NOT approve of that marriage, but I went to support her because I love her. I set aside my personal feelings for her happiness.

I would support the people I loved no matter what.

I support gay marriage fully, but you get my point.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I would be glad to do. If you feel uncomfortable with it, politely decline.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 1:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2011