Narcissistic son in law

Our 26 yr old daughter has been married for two years to a verbally abusive man. They began going for counselling after my daughter threatened to leave. Now my son in law is controlling his anger much better, participating socially with friends and family, and basically doing whatever my daughter wants to do, as he did before they were married. My questions are: Can a narcissist change from negative, paranoid, blame ridden, skewed thinking and become a normal, loving husband?

motherluv616

Asked by motherluv616 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• With conuseling and meds, I dont see why he cant change. Though I would think that the new behavior needs to last a while like 8 months or more to really know for sure if he has changed.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• It sounds like he is making changes. I know it is hard, but it is up to your daughter to see and accept those changes, not you. I think u should always have your mother' watchful eyes out, but I do believe with couselling people can change. He has to want it and do it and accept it too, 110%.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Behavior modification is a wonderful thing so yes it is possible. It takes a lot of work but if he's willing then that's most of the battle.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• IF ONE REALLY WANTS TO CHANGE THAN YES I BELIEVE IT IS VERY POSSIBLE.
    DOVE5397

Answer by DOVE5397 at 8:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2008