My 7 yr old fell over and got a bruise and now they're calling CPS?

She has a small bruise on her stomach which a teacher saw when she was getting changed, apparently my daughter has been unhappy at school at the moment and they think it must be child abuse, she's been upset because she's getting bullied by a boy in her class and I've told the school a million and one times. I'm so upset it's uncontrollable, it's a TINY bruise and it was because she fell off our jungle gym about a week ago. How is this fair? What's more is they asked her about it before even informing us and she came home upset and thinking she'd done something wrong. IMO this isn't fair one tiny bit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just remember you dont have to let them in. You can ask to hire a lawyer first and they must respect that. If you have nothing to hide and there is no abuse itll be a painless process to get them out of your hair. If for some reason they still insist (like a dog with a bone) to do anything dont sign ANYTHING not even a safety plan without seeing a lawyer first.

Answer by gemgem at 4:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Thank you, I just can't believe this would happen. Me and my husband don't even believe in spanking and yet suddenly we've been reported to CPS. Kids get bruises, that's just what they're like.
    Anonymous

• !! i would be pissed and consider switching schools.They have no right to question you child unless they are cops. So IMO they broke a law by asking personal questions to a minor without parents permission.It upset her.I know you have already told her she did nothing wrong,but keep telling her..

Anonymous

• if cps was called you do have to let them in its the law but if there is nothing to hide and they can clearly see that they will be in and out quickly. just stay calm and who knows they may not show at all depending on what your daughter said.
    Anonymous

• Depending on what state you live in you can look into parent advocates of people harrassed by CPS. No, you do not have to let them in your home if you don't want to. Unless they have a warrant to come into your home then they have no reason to be there, don't let them bully you into thinking you have to let them in. If they threaten you with police then let them know if they have a warrant then you will be more than happy to comply. If it were me after complaining so much about your daughter being bullied and nothing has been done now this I would switch daycare facilities.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 4:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• hate to inform you guys but i work as a social worker and the schools have the right to question a child who they believe is being abused with out the parents. as for cps you do have to let us in if we show up knocking at your door but if we find nothing then thats the end we have to have reason to file more reports. i wouldnt worry about it to much.
    Anonymous

• Will this go on record when they find that they are mistaken?
    Anonymous

• I had cps come to my home becaue my sister was trying to get my kid from me (she had no basis for the call other then her own selfishness). they came. looked at my house. looked at my kid. and never came back. never heard another word about it other then the lady at the time saying she didnt see anything out of the ordinary. that was 17 yrs ago.
    Anonymous

• GLAD I homeschool, lol. My boys have multiple bruises all over the place from...being boys! They are always finding new things to jump off of...you think they'd learn! Next it'll be skydiving!

I would be royally ticked off. I'd make sure to harrass them about fixing the bullying situation. Call them every single day. They just made your life hell, do the same for them! It's not fair that in the meantime, she'll continue to be bullied.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:08 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• ladies please understand that in many states teachers are mandated reporters and sometimes (esp. after something in the news etc) we get reminded in a meeting that we should question and/or report any and all bruises and can be held liable and even jailed if we don't
    talk to your child and when cps comes talk to them about how she got the bruise and about your concerns with the school. Document all discussions with school about the bully.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2008