Interview with a nanny - any tips?

This is my first time interviewing with a nanny for my 9-month old baby. It is just a full time position, not a live-in nanny. Would you please share your experiences in this regards, what are the most useful questions/acts that you would recommend in interviewing a nanny? My concern, of course, is whether she is a loving person and good around baby; whether she's a potential psycho, any criminal records, honest (since she'll have key to access our house)... all of the above and then some. Thanks as always!

PeanutJordanMom

Asked by PeanutJordanMom at 4:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No advice, just wanted to say Good Luck, I know it will be a scary process!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Ask, and I know this sounds stupid, but ask how she feels about children in general.(you might be suprised at some of the answers) Ask her/him how they would handle an emergency if it arose. Ask them why they are doing thhis type of work.
    Ask them about what they would do for fun, what type of training they have, ask them if they are seeing someone regularly(don't want interference with that0 Go with your gut feelings. See how they act with your child while sitting there with you. Ask what they expect of you
    Anonymous

• This is why "nanny cams" were invented! Ask her WHY does she want to be a Nanny? If she's a college age student I'm sure it's just a cheap way to get free room and board. If she's older, does she have her own children/grandchildren? Is she looking to fill a void?

I'd NEVER hire a nanny! If I needed a nanny, I wouldn't have had children! Seriously, they'll be in full-time school in a few years. Is your career THAT important?
    Anonymous

• Have her get a report from the local social services. I am going to be getting a mother's helper in the next few months because hubby is going to Afg. w/ the GA national guard. I have five kids so, I will need a little help. Good luck. I am already nervous and I haven't even started the search.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I was a nanny for about a year and a half, and during my interview, they asked about the experience i had, they asked about special training such as cpr and hymlich, and how many times i'd had to use them. They asked about the age ranges of children i've cared for, and how many kids at any given time i'd cared for. They went over all the duties expected of me to see if there was anything i was uncomfortable with.They let me play with the kids for about an hour or an hour and a half after they interviewed me just to see how we interacted together, and they also did a backround check. But they said what sealed the deal with them is when they're 2 year old son was sitting on my lap and they were still interviewing me and he slobbered all over a toy and i just wiped it off on my pants and gave it back to him and the slobber didn't bother me at all.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 6:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• They said that was awesome because one girl they interviewed was totally grossed out by baby spit. And most of all, just go with you gut instinct, and besure to allow youself enough time to get to know her and get comfortable with her before she starts working. Even if she helps around the house while your there for a few days before you go back to work. Hope all this helps, and good luck, let me know if you have anymore questions. Oh, and to the anonymous poster at 5:18 some peoploe go into parenthood hoping to be a stay at home parent but it's not for everyone. Some people can't deal with the stress of it, and others find out later that they really need the extra money. So please try not to be judgemental just because it's not for you.
    FinleyFirst

• THANK YOU so much for all these great tips and insights! I now have a good list of questions for the interview.

I am not and don't need to justify for myself, but if it helps other people to see why the nanny business has such booming market, read on: I entered into parenthood because it's our desires to have children, I never intended to be a stay-at-home mom. As it turned out, I've taken a year off to be with my baby, out of love. Practicality is one issue, money tree is shrinking and with this economy, I'd better have a job than just trying to be self-righteous - year(s) from now if we get foreclosed on our house or anything like that, I'm sure my children will be far worse than if they only have a nanny. That said, are we suggesting that there should be a pre-requisite to all moms-to-be to have a big fat back account prior to consider having children??
    PeanutJordanMom

Answer by PeanutJordanMom at 8:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Hi
    I am a nanny and some of the things that parents asked me were,
    1) what are some age appropriate activites that you will do with the child.
    2) how do you handle discipline
    3) do you have cpr training
    4) what would you do in an emergency
    Good luck!
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2008