WWYD?

My dog ran away a couple days ago and luckily we found him again today. I just wonder if I should take him back or not. When I got the dog we had the intentions of making him part of our family, part of our pack, but it seems he hangs out outside most of the time because my husband, my oldest daughter and MIL hate him so much. The only ones who like him at my youngest daughter and myself. Would you keep the dog or tell everyone else he is part of the family and he gets to come in whether you like it or not!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Pets

• Why do they hate him? It's not fair to have a dog if they are made to feel excluded from the family and just kept in the garden like that. It's cruel. I would say that he's a member of the family and should be inside and played wiht...and everyone has a responsibility for training and caring for him. Didn't you agree that before you got the dog? Set down some ground rules. Maybe try training the dog (try Kyra Sundance's 51 puppy tricks or 101 dog tricks. Those books are full of step - by- step instructions with pictures on teaching tricks. My children can follow the instructins easily) If you get them involved in fun things like playing with him and training and show him the things the dog is capable of they are more likely to develop a r/ship with him and want to be involved. But if you really can't do that, don't keep him outside. Its cruel and should be illegal.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 6:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• From experiance I would not keep the dog. My family had a pomeranian and everyone hated him but me. He ended up being so depressed he just hid under the bed all day.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 3:22 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I would stand up for the dog.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• AWWW..... why does everyone Hate Him? he probably feels it & that's why he ran away! i would say it's time to have a Family Meeting & if you can't come up with a Happy Medium; as bad as i hate to say it maybe, you should find him a New Home where he can be part of the Family & Loved! Wishing you lots of luck!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• you are on a public forum asking an opinion with limited information - of course people are going to make assumptions, read tones that may or may not be there. Based on the limited info you gave I would encourage you to find a great new home for this dog who obviously (for whatever reasons) doesn't mesh with your family. Although I personally believe when you adopt a pet it's forever - life doesn't always "play nice", sometimes personalities, energies or whatever just don't mesh. I hope that you will make it a priority to find him a home where he'll be happy rather than simply drop him at a shelter. Don't be so offended - you asked for opinions and you got them.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• WHy did you get a dog? Did the family agree to this dog, or did someone just bring it home...The poor thing probably knows that nobody likes him and thats why he went to find some family that would.....sounds like you should find him a happy home.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Sit down and have a talk with everyone about it. If things can't be changed find him a new home. This is why I recommend going as a family to pick out a dog instead of someone just bringing one home. I hope you don't have to give him up but if they won't put in an effort with him, it's better if you do. :\
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• we did go as a family. I just love how you all are assuming things, he is unliked because he has a lot of energy and the rest of the family is scared off all that energy. DD2 and I love it and embrace it. I agree about the family meeting but dang don't bash me when you don't know what is going on!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• why would your MIL have a say in it? I would get rid of her before I got rid of the dog. Thats just me. I have always told my DH that he went before my dog went. He learned to love her.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2011