Insomnia related to hormones/PMS

Ugh, this has been going on with me since my mid-20's. For about a week before my period, I absolutely cannot sleep through the night. I either wake up around 1 AM or so, and lie there for 2 hours before finally dozing back off, or I wake up at 4-ish, and then never go back to sleep. I literally go from being sound asleep to completely wide awake in a snap. I don't know how to explain it either...it's almost like I have an adrenaline rush or something, which I've always assumed is the hormones. And I guess I've always assumed it's hormones because of the way it is always in the week before my cycle.

Anyone else heard of or experienced this? Any suggestions? I mentioned it to my doctor, and she just shrugged it off and claimed she never heard of anything like that. I have been up since 2:58 AM (on my 4th insomniac night) and am completely exhausted.

vicesix

Asked by vicesix at 4:50 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Health