Would you allow your insurance company to electronically monitor your driving for a discount ?

credit carddriving

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 4:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No I declined it. They can use the data to raise your insurance as well as lower it. I figured the fact that I have no accidents or tickets should be enough for them to figure out my driving.

I remember seeing one of the things they look at is how often you apply the brakes and how hard I figured picking up my daughter from school alone would probably raise my rates.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• From what they said about it in a story the other day, I don't doubt they'll be using it to raise rates far more than lowering. One of the first questions they ask when you get a policy is approx how many miles you drive per year, but how many people really drive the exact amount every single year? One vacation could put you over your "monthly allowance" and give them an excuse.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:05 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Nope. I'm a good driver and very cautious. That doesn't mean other people are. How are the insurance companies going to see if a car stopped 10 feet in front of me on the interstate going 70 miles an hour? They'd just see that I either swerved the car, slammed on my breaks or hit something-making it look like I'm a careless driver. I'd be way to self conscious that they were monitoring me that I would probably be more focused on that then the road. And who's to say that they won't use it as an excuse to jack up my prices because they see what an "actual driver" I am.
    elliesmum06

Answer by elliesmum06 at 7:38 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My hubby probably would try it to see if it could save him some $$

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:05 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My driving record is clear (and has been sincce I got my permit 34 years ago). My monthly premium is less than $26 bucks. Aside from the fact that I doubt anything else would lower it more, I truly would make ALL insurance illegal if it were up to me.

The only thing I've seen it do is make people careless, lazy, rude, and beyond greedy/occasionally murderous (in the case of life insurance). People become utterly irresponsible because they figure 'so what, the ins. will cover it' ~ and they like the bizarre way everyone is actually expected to chip in to cover their screw up. I drive ~ and live ~ responsibly in spite of insurance, and I carry the absolute minimum because I refuse to contribute to something that I consider a legalized scam to make things cost more ... in addition to the premiums.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• No.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 10:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Hell no! I drive too fast.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Not even a little bit.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• NOPE!! But then again I've been with Allstate since I was 16 1/2--yep that's when I got my license in MA, AND paid for my OWN auto insurance...and since I've never so much as received a parking ticket in the 26 years I've had my license, I have a very low premium, and every 6 months I get a $40 rebate on my premiums..."Avoid a wreck, get a check" program.

Electronically monitoring one's driving ONLY serves to increase one's premiums...as the auto insurer will undoubtedly establish arbitrary "fine print" surcharges that would be nearly impossible to avoid!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Truthfully, I wouldn't really care. I try to be a good driver most of the time.
    sonja911

Answer by sonja911 at 6:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2011