Do you think inmates should be charged to cover the cost of their incarceration ?if they don't have the funds to cover their incarceration, should they perform manual labor like digging trenches, construction etc while being monitored of course..?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 5:45 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely they should be picking up garbage along the side of the roads and whatever else the state needs them to do. This crap of working out lifting weights to get rid of excess energy is crap. Work them 8 hours a day like my husband goes to work everyday to pay our bills. Mabey they would be to tired to start trouble. I dont mean work them to death.........in extreme weather and situations etc. But the tax payers should NOT have to pay for criminals to eat and watch tv. They need to work just like anyone else does for a place to sleep and food to eat.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:06 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• There are different types of incarceration. Meaning....a Judge can decide if someone is eligible for weekends or if they have to be jailed for their entire sentence. Most weekenders are "Paying Clients" while someone jailed for the entire sentence isn't. Personally. I think they all should pay to be incarcerated. And manual labor?? There isn't much of that anymore in any facility since a bunch of bleeding hearts said that it infringed on the inmates rights...they really aren't required to do anything but lay around, eat and sleep.
    sonja911

Answer by sonja911 at 6:14 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Yes. I think they should have to pay for their incarceration. I also think they should have to work a FULL 8 hours of hard labor (a ten hour day with breaks and lunch). I don't care if they should have to go out and digs holes, fill them back in and dig again the next day. They don't have to take any jobs 'away' from us, but they should be expected to want to better their lives and NOT return to prison. I think they should not get t.v., no college degree's, no work out machines. If they want to read in their spare time, that's fine, but they should NOT get to use any studies towards a degree. that to me is absurd. Oh...and what do they need a computer for? They can learn to write letters to correspond. How riduculous is it that a guy in prison can be on a social newtworking/dating site. And yes, that does happen. Who knows, could be some reading this right now? Ecckkk.....disturbing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• They were talking about this kinda think on HLN. About how they work and get paid while in prison, and should they be allowed to walk out with that money. Personally, I don't think so. I know they need money to get a start, but, they basically live off the government the entire time they are incarcerated. I think they should have to pay to stay in prison, work for their keep. It costs a fortune to keep them locked up, no including their medical. I know that there are programs where they train dogs and such, and that's great. But, there needs to be much more. They are locked up for criminal acts. And I know it's not all nice and comfy, but they need to pay their way. They, THEY are a drain on society.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Well that can open another can of worms. True story in WI the state decided to cut the budget for mowing of state medians to only one cut a year. That didn't make anyone happy as its dangerous in some plus looks like crap. People started mowing them in the areas that they live. They were told you can't do that.

The solution that they came up with they would use inmates who volunteered to do it and they did not get paid for it. It resulted in a union grievance being filed and told they had to make the union whole. Which wasn't really clear on how that was going to happen because no one got paid for the work and there was no money to pay them with,

My point is you would have the people who normally get paid for doing those jobs not so happy.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think they definitely need to contribute to help cover the costs of their incarceration. Why should WE be paying for them to have 3-squares and a bed? Committing a crime should not be a free ride, which is what it essentially is now.

Yes, they do work inside the prison and they get paid for it so they will have some money on the inside and a small account when they get out. I can't remember the exact amount but it is below minimum wage.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think they should all do work

Pay for?? maybe....right npw you have many privatize prisons and it is NOT a good thing

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Most prisoners already work inside the jail where they are housed. Laundry, cleaning, infirmary, kitchen, clerical, grounds keeping.
    No, outside of the work they already do, they should not be charged.
    Many industries already use prison labor for their products. This way, they don't have to pay anyone on the outside a living wage or any benefits
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:43 AM on Mar. 17, 2011