How long after you apply?? *update*

How long does it take after you turn in your application to get medicaid for pregnant women set up and for you to get insurance cards to be able to see a doctor?? I need an ob appt asap, but can not make one until this is set up. I am only 7 wks 2 days but am high risk.  I live in Virginia so Im not sure how things work

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• depends on how many applicants are ahead of you & how many cases your worker has. If you are high risk most social service agencies have programs through the health dept where they can do checks until medicaid comes in. Also you can get paperwork to show you have applied, and some doctors will take that as long as they know theyll get paid (medicaid covered 3 mths before too). Keep calling doctors I am sure someone will work with you.

Answer by gemgem at 8:01 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It depends but they will send you a letter and you can print out a temporary card online :D
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 8:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Maybe every state is different but in PA and MD they well give you insurance right away. If you go to Social Services or almost any doc office they have papers all over that say if you are pregnant and need a doc etc... call.......... they will never make you wait for treatment. Call doc offices maybe they can give you info... Express your urgency. /you can google stuff and help fr pregnant women too. When you are pregnant they don't make you go through the same process as everyone else. Normally they have to complete you within 30 days, but right away for you. If you need more help please let me know I will help you find info. Good luck!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 8:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• in my state we apply online and get an answer right then as well as coverage if we are approved... u might look into that
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 8:40 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• you can research it on the web or call your local DHS office and ask
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 8:45 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I always had my first appointment before getting on it. Usually they'll go back and pay the last 3 months of medical bills you have, as long as you havne't already paid them. So if you went to your doc next week and you were approved the week after, they'd go back and pay for your appointment, or if you had to go to the ER, or anything like that. Docs are good about not making you pay as long as you tell them when you make the appointment that you've applied and are waiting for the official approval.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• In Illinois I applied the day after I found out I was pregnant (5 weeks). I didn't get a response until I was into my second trimester. I hope VA is faster than that for you!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:59 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I didnt know there was a waiting period. Im glad you found out though!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 11:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• in texas, most of the clinics will see you as long as they know you have applied and you'll have to sign a paper saying that your responsible for charges if medicaid will not cover it. just call an ob and ask them, tell them you have applied but your waiting for it
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• glad you got your answer
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2011