When do you let your child go out to play alone?

I live in a moble home park and the kids are just running around by themselves. I have a 5 and a half year old and wouldn't let her out by herself to save my life. There are some kids as young as 4 with no one watching them. Just wondering what age you would let your kid go play without you.

I will not let her out of my site when were outside if she is riding her bike i am running behind her. lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Never lol. Honestly mine are not allowed outside with a parent until they are around 12-13. By then they are not outside as much anyway and if they are they are at each others houses around here. The world isnt safe like it used to be.

Answer by gemgem at 8:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• outside without a parent

Answer by gemgem at 8:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I'm guessing on the Free Range <----> Helicopter scale, you're over on the right.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:06 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I know when it comes to them playing outside I am more to the right, thats what happens when your ex runs with your child though. You get a little more paranoid.

Answer by gemgem at 8:08 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My son is 13, he just last year was allowed to walk to a friends house by himself. I live in an area where we have a big yard and I know the neighbors, in order for someone to snatch the small ones they would have to pull in the driveway and into ours...I still will not let them outside by themselves. The older one, not an issue....I still worry about him, still make him check in every hour on the hour (and his friends have to check in,(all at different times) all of us mothers watch out for them all) but he is older, and he doesn't talk to strangers, doesn't even like to hang out with the "older" kids.... I definitely won't let these two go out without supervision until at least 11 years old. Even if it is sitting on the porch or in a corner of the park watching...(they are 5 and 6 now).
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:10 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Honestly it depends on the children and the area for me. My kids are rather mature for their age and we also have a fenced area around our swing set and sand box that is right off the back door and I have let them out there since there were about 3 years old. I can see them the whole time. What you explain would be a major no for me until about 7 or 8 though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• my son is 6 and i don't allow it..and even if i did he probably wouldnt last long. last summer i got him some side walk chalk and told him to draw some pictures on the drive way while i did laundry in the garage (not far away)..and he kept peepin in on me..making sure i was still there. We don't have any young neighborhood kids though. they are all about 9 and older.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

I'm on the right side too. That's why my kids are not going to end up murdered or raped by some psycho. My oldest is 4 and I would never let her run around the neighborhood unsupervised. I might as well attach a "please kidnap me" letter to her back. Kids need supervision at this age.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• my oldest 2 are 5 and 6. I let them go out to ride their bikes and they go to the park with their friends. I go out and check them often. I live on a military post so I guess I feel safer letting them out. not sure I would let them out if we lived off post.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:36 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My son is 3, and is very loud. He doesn't know the meaning of the word quiet. Last summer, I would open the door and let him play outside while I swept the floor and picked up, but we live in a close neighborhood with nosy neighbors, and everyone keeps an eye on him because he's the only really little one around. Even still, he's never out of my sight for more than a minute at a time. This year, I'm not sure that I'll be that free range with him, only because he's been testing boundaries a lot this winter. Last year, he was content to play in front of the porch steps with a shovel and a truck, and I didn't have to worry about him going far. We have a river that runs behind our place (several hundred yards through the woods, but still...) and I don't trust him not to go exploring anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Mar. 17, 2011