Does anyone have a child who has speech issues and have been told by the school that they are fine and will grow out of it? My son is now 7 and still pronounces his "r's" like a "w" sound and also awkwardly pronouces the "l" sound.

Child with speech issues

DeAna118

Asked by DeAna118 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I started speech in school in 1st grade. If the school won't help I would talk to his pediatrician and maybe they can set up a speech therapist. Insurance usually will cover it. My son is 19mo and has also started speech therapy and they come to my house.
    tfmmpmmdmmom

Answer by tfmmpmmdmmom at 12:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• You can request that the school have a speech therapist do an eval on him. The school district has to pay for it and they have to give the child speech therapy if it turns out he needs it. If he's borderline however then he might not be given therapy. My son was borderline and so he didn't qualify. He was tested at 5 and he's doing fine now.

You can also work with him at home. That's what I did. When he mispronounces something just gently remind him how it's supposed to be said and have him repeat it. Don't do this infront of friends or family as it'll embarass him.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 12:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• YES, MY SON WILL BE STARTING K-- IN AUG. AND HE WAS IN PRE SCHOOL FOR SPEECH THERAPY FOR 2 YEARS...I WAS TOLD THAT IT IS A STATE LAW HER IN IDAHO ...THE SCHOOL HAS TO PROVIDE A SPEECH THERAPIST!!!!!!!!!!! SO CHECK THE GUIDLINES IN YOUR STATE..
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Thank you guys for all your answers. We have pediatrician appointment tommorrow- And I will defintely check on the school district and their policy.
    DeAna118

Answer by DeAna118 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• My daughter was diagnosed with a hearing problem (in one ear only) in second grade- we had NO idea. Her teacher urged us to have her tested because she was having difficulty with vowels. All of a sudden her cute mispronunciations made sense :)
    Anonymous