An indian giver

Me and SO are breaking up, my doing, im tired of the crap. Now he is saying that he wants back the gifts he got me for my birthday and christmas, saying that it is his stuff and he wants it back. I got him stuff too that he thinks is only minor (a 200 watch), he got me a open hearts necklace and an ipod, should i return it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• I would. Even when someone didnt ask for things back I usually gave them back because they made me sick. I didnt want anything they gave me.

Answer by gemgem at 8:40 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• No, it was a gift, it is yours. He didn't give it to you saying, "here you can keep this as long as we stay together."
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:41 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• You have no obligation at all, but as gemgem said, if you keep the things you may not have a good feeling about them when you go to use them.

Answer by Bmat at 8:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• in the long run down the road
    does it really matter?
    you could keep, gifts are gifts
    but if you give back, no skin off your back, and you may come across as bigger person
    (not now, he will not see this now, and may never see it=but you will know)

whatever makes you MORE rid of him=then do that
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:44 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• since he is being purely vindictive, i'd give him his crap back. although it is your stuff and it belongs to you.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It was a gift, legally you don't have to give them back. But if you don't want them around then just give them back. He is just being petty, there is no reason for yuo to stoop to his level by keeping them just to spite him.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:45 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i can just see him meeting someone and giving her the necklace and that pisses me off more than anything. A few weeks after he got it we argued and I sent it to him in the mail he once again gave it to me. At the time i sent it back, in that argument he was sayign, I need to give it to someone special, not you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:45 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• So let him. If you ever run into him with a new gf and she has it on you can laugh and say I see he gave you my necklace LOL.

Answer by gemgem at 8:47 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• You're under no obligation to return them, really. If they are things you want to keep, and use than do so, but don't keep them just to be spiteful.

I offered to give back the rings my ex had given me, along with all of the other stuff I had of his, and he'd just returned from Germany with a bunch of things for me from Europe..he told me to keep it all. Some of it I treasure, because of the thought he put into getting it for me, some of it I have passed on, because it wasn't anything I could use, or saw any reason to keep. Good luck :D
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:47 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• honestly i feel sorry for his future GF's who received a gift that was intended for another woman. this guy sounds like a total douchebag! give it back and wash your hands of him.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 17, 2011