L4, L5 Herniated Disc

I just found out that i have 1 disc that is bulging and 1 that is herniated. Has anyone ever been through this? I have to see a neurosurgeon, but in the mean time, the Dr. wants me to have a spinal block.

If you've dealt with this, what can be done for the pain? Where on the spine is L4, L5? Has anyone had the surgery to repair? How did you do??

Thanks!!

tracy0812

Asked by tracy0812 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Health

• My ex husband has a herniated disc in L6 and L7, he did not have surgery on it because it's in a spot most surgeons won't touch because of paralysis risk. His mother has a herniated disc in I believe the same area as you and she's had procedures done to help but she says surgery and blocks have made it worse over the years and she wishes she had left it alone. Make sure you have a second opinion. I've heard many people with herniated discs say that surgery made it worse not better, no matter where it is.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• my husband had a buldging disk. he does have caudal epidurals every 3 or so months. after this injection that is comming up he are thinking about phsyical therapy but want to see how the injections are working. he also takes vicodin every so often to ehlp with the pain but doesnt like to take them. the spinal will take a week and sometime two weeks to fully work and it doesnt take away all the pain but does help make it more bearable. we havent thought about surgery yet but i know in the future we will.
    some of the craziest things work at reliveing the pain from laying flat on the floor to putting something under one leg when sitting. hot baths help too. a mix between hot and cold pad and also you can check into a tens stimulator or a sequintal stimulator. it can help.
    btw my husbands buldging disk is around the same area in his lower back too. good luck and make sure the doc that does the spinal is really good.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• oh i just seen this ad in readers digetst about a laser surgery place for the spine. i have heard of lasar surgry being better than the tradition surgeries but i havent checked this one out or anything but the website is laserspineinstitute.com
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My doctor sent me for physical theraphy. It helped a lot. They reteach you the proper way to lift objects as well teach you core strength exercises. Plus they give you massages and heat treatments. This has worked for me . It may depend on how servere your disc injuries are.

Good luck with it.
    teasleybigt

Answer by teasleybigt at 9:17 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• hi there...i am a nurse for pain mangement doc and we deal with this all the time...first questions is what type of doctor did you see the first go around....was this your first MRI.....surgery is your last resort. you stated they are send you to a neuro doc did they mention anything about doing emg's/ncv to see if you have any nerve damage. what normally happens is they give you a medrol dose pack which is a oral steroid which you take for six days..if this doesnt work they offer you medication like(norco, oxy, soma, ambien..just to name a few) or a lumbar injection that you do at an outpatient surgery center the injections can be done up to a series of three within a certain period of time...than after you do your round of injections they refer you out to a surgeon for a second opinion to see if you are a candiate for injections.
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 9:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• ooo also some people do meds with p.t as well..which can be done at a chiro office or p.t. rehab facility...it can be doing with eletric stim/ultra sound and massages or it can be done aquatic
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 9:26 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I have 5 herniated discs from a car accident 5.5 years ago (a drunk hit me and rolled my truck), T6, L1, L3, L4, and L5...I was sent to phsyical therapy and got medication...I also saw a chiropractor who did adjustments, heating pads, and massage.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 17, 2011