Do you really want the answers?

Here is a list a fellow atheist made, that very nicely explains why many atheists don't believe in god, and why most of your arguments don't go very far in convincing us. If you are truly interested in seeing atheism from another perspective, than check out this article. (It does not bash any religion, just explains things from an atheists point of view.)

http://friendlyatheist.com/1990/34-unconvincing-arguments-for-god/

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 5:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know there's nothing one can do to change someone else's mind...but I commend you for posting non-anonymously and at least trying =D I finally gave up my battle with religion and became agnostic because I was finally willing to admit that I don't have all the answers. I've never felt so free.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I am still trying to find my spiritual place so I also commend you for not hiding in the bushes so to speak and being nice about it and not damning us if we do see things differently than you.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 5:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Well I never post anonymously, nor do I ever reply anonymously. I am not ashamed of myself, and feel no need to hide my identity. (on a side note, I have never received any hate mail, or harassment mail from others due to any of my questions or answers)

I don't pretend to have all the answers either, and this post isn't really about trying to get people to not believe, but more to get them to understand why others don't. It's not about an I'm right and you're wrong debate, it's just a, here are the reasons your arguments make no sense to me. I find it difficult sometimes to express myself as clearly and eloquently as some others, (i'm talking about you again kristi), so sometimes I use the words of others to express what I feel.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• No I really don't need the answers, but thanks anyways.

Even though you don't believe in God it does mean He's not real or doesn't love you. So until He takes me home, I'll be here on earth serving Him. The bible declares that His Word never returns void and I'm going to believe that. :)
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I never post or reply incognito wither. I did get flamed for suggesting someone look into birth control earlier today, I even left her sweet comment on my chat thing on my page. I just don't think having unprotected sex and using plan b several times in one month is very responsible and I voiced my opinion on that. Even if that one person doesn't listen someone else might and it could help them.

I like that you offer your beliefs in a non hostile sort of way.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 6:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I'm a christian and I went to that site above and read through it b4 I wrote this. I was raised in a christian home, but when I was in my early to mid teens I experienced and studied different religions. Everything I tried lead me to dead ends and feeling empty and lonely inside. In my early 20's I was in an abusive marriage and had done everything in my power to change things and I still ended up on the wrong side. One day when I was finally at the very bottom, I cried out to God. I prayed for Him to reveal Himself if the midst of my despair. He came through for me and doors started opening for me.
    T.C.38

Answer by T.C.38 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I dug through all of my books looking for my bible that I had as a child. I found it and start reading it (something I had never done b4). I had so many questions and I didn't stop calling different denominations talking to pastors until I found someone that answered my questions to the fullest. I began going to church and living my life the way God planned for me. Slowly my attitude began to change my husbands attitude became better. I saw God in the midst of my delimna. I've seen evidence that God exists through my own life experiences. I start going to church and I was baptised by the Holy Ghost and began speaking in tongues. I went on a few mission trips to S. America. I didn't know the language there. I started speaking to someone, not knowing what I was saying or what she was saying, but it was fluent in her language. God worked through me to make her believe in Him.
    T.C.38

Answer by T.C.38 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Thanks for the link. I'm interested in checking it out.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 6:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Geminus, thanks for the invite. I don't always offer my beliefs in a non-hostile way. I have gotten into some sticky situations on here, and I have offended a few people, but I have learned, and I do always attempt to be respectful, although I don't always achieve that goal.

T.C. I'm glad that you were able to turn your life around, but I'm not sure you understood the article if you read it. This post wasn't really about why you believe, it was to give you a greater understanding of why others don't.

J.C. you are more than welcome to continue to believe what you want. Good luck with all that!

my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Your welcome jennetty, it's a long read, so make sure you have some time.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2008