How to get ur 20mth old to sleep in her own bed???

I have a 20mth old daughter and she won't sleep anywhere but with me. If she is asleep and
i leave the room she wakes up and comes to hunt me down lol what do I do? Is it to late?

kennysmom09

Asked by kennysmom09 at 8:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You put her in her bed, and you tell her not to get out of it. You tell her she does not have to go to sleep there(you can't make her go to sleep), but that she does have to stay in her bed. Then if she gets out, you spank her butt and you put her right back in her own bed, repeating the above instructions. You do that as often and for as long as it takes for her to understand that you will accept nothing less than her obeying your instructions. This is how you teach a child to obey her mother, whether it be in regard to sleeping in her own bed or whatever it is you want the child to learn.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• No, it's not too late. My Ds was about that age when I really started trying to get him to sleep in his own room. What I found worked best for us was putting a tv in his room (I know, aweful...) and putting a comfort movie on repeat (his fav. at the time was 101 dalmations), and gating his door so he couldn't come out. When he woke up and called for me, I'd go in and sit with him until he fell asleep again. We don't gate his door anymore, and occasionally he comes to bed with us (he's 3.5yrs) but I don't mind the occasional night, so long as he spends the majority in his room.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:58 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My daughter was the same way. I took her to the store and let her pick out her own pillows, comforter, and some other decorations and sshe loved it. It took a few nights but she finally stayed in her bed. I never had to spank her. I just worked with her. Now she thinks she is a big girl and loves her room!
    mommyxdos

Answer by mommyxdos at 9:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Put her in her bed. The first 3 times tell her its time for bed, cover her up, and kiss her. Anytime after that dont say anything just put her back in bed. It will work eventually.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• What if she has a todler bed???
    kennysmom09

Comment by kennysmom09 (original poster) at 9:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Wow, Nanny is intense. I think that SabrenaLeight and the others have the right ideas. It's gonna mean a few long nights for you, but a night light, fav stuffed animal, or even Mommy's t-shirt might help. Good luck.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2011