How can I get my ADHD son in control when the meds wear off? He drives me nuts! lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You might want to try a different med. The control release meds are awesome because they last longer. My son is fine for like 12 hours on his.

If that's not something you want to do then you can try to do things when you know they're starting to wear off. Some sort of project or craft. I found with my son that painting or working with clay or something to that effect will keep him occupied and calm for a long while. So will things like making a train layout (he's still obsessed with Thomas). Anything where he needs to pay attention to detail or use his creativity and imagination.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 12:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• same here my son takes adderall 10mg and it last for 12 hours. so by the time it wears off he's ready to eat and lay down and watch tv. there's nothing more he should be doing. especially if he's in school. how old is your son? let him play outside when he finishes his homework that way he'll be tired enough to just eat and go to sleep.
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• He's 7 years old...thanks for the advice!
    Anonymous